submitting work

Oct 2016
Arizona
Hi, so lately I've been solving challenge problems from mathematics journals, and I have like 4 of them that I need to write and turn in. Is the best way to do this to put a $\LaTeX$ program on my computer and do it on my computer? Or is there a way to go online and type a solution and get a pdf of it? I think you also have to turn in the $\LaTeX$ code in case they want to feature your solution. I just feel lost, I'm not sure how to do this.

How do you usually submit work?

SDK

Sep 2016
USA
I'm certain you would be expected to submit it in latex. I thought I had seen you using it before but I guess not. In any case, if you want to do math, you have to learn latex. For better or worse, it's unavoidable.

If it's any consolation, I don't know anyone who knows latex that regrets learning it. It is extremely powerful, yet easy to use. I don't just mean for formatting math either. I can't even manage to type a letter in office/libre without becoming extremely frustrated by how much worse these are than latex at even the simplest formatting tasks.

Last edited by a moderator:

skipjack

Forum Staff
Dec 2006
If they require use of latex, the codecogs website makes it easy to produce latex coding for mathematics.

Reactions: 1 person
Oct 2016
Arizona
I do know $\LaTeX$, but my question was how to use it on my computer and how to make it a pdf. I know the code, but that's it. I've only ever used it on forums!

I guess what I'm asking is, in order to accomplish this, do I need to download stuff on my computer or is there any easier way?

Last edited:

topsquark

Math Team
May 2013
The Astral plane
I would think that most journal submissions are done using a pdf file. To the best of my knowledge LaTeX is suported.

-Dan

Reactions: 1 person
Oct 2016
Arizona
Never mind, I found overleaf.com and you can edit with $\LaTeX$ online. So that's cool!