Problem involving a unit circle and two other coordinates

Apr 2019
South Africa
I have a little problem that I hope the community would be able to assist me with.

I have a unit circle and inside that unit circle I have a point (A), outside that unit circle I have another point (B). Is there a way to find the coordinates of the point that intersects the radius of the unit circle and the line AB ?

Am I making the problem clear enough ?

Feb 2016
If by intersects the radius you mean intersects the circle, then yes, you have all the information you need.

Apr 2019
South Africa
Awesome any ideas as to any online resources that I can use to figure it out ?

I am not a school student and need to figure this out for a little "Project"

Thanks...

Apr 2019
South Africa
My math skills are not very good and I would really appreciate the assistance, how would I even google such a problem ?

Thanks

:confused:

skeeter

Math Team
Jul 2011
Texas
I have a little problem that I hope the community would be able to assist me with.

I have a unit circle and inside that unit circle I have a point (A), outside that unit circle I have another point (B). Is there a way to find the coordinates of the point that intersects the radius of the unit circle and the line AB ?

Am I making the problem clear enough ?
Understand there are an infinite number of radii in a circle. Every point between point A inside the circle and the point on the unit circle where AB intersects the circle is a point on one of those many radii.

Apr 2019
South Africa
Let me rephrase what I want to do..

I have a circle and a line starting in the circle, radius 1, which ends outside the circle. I want to know what formulas I would use to determine the x and y coordinate of intersection point between circle radius 1 and the line.

For example. Point A and the center of my circle, coordinate 0,0 are both the same. Point B is 2 units away at coordinate 0,2. 0,1 is my intersection point.

Thankyou for your time..

greg1313

Forum Staff
Oct 2008
London, Ontario, Canada - The Forest City
Point A and the center of my circle, coordinate 0,0 are both the same. Point B is 2 units away at coordinate 0,2. 0,1 is my intersection point.
The radius of such a circle is concurrent to AB so there are an infinite number of intersection points.

Perhaps it's not clear to me exactly what you mean.

Apr 2019
South Africa
Ok allow me to rephrase then...

I am only interested in the outer most edge of the circle where the radius is 1

skeeter

Math Team
Jul 2011
Texas
Since A is at the origin and the unit circle is also,then the point of intersection for that segment AB and the circle would be

$(x,y) = (\cos{\theta},\sin{\theta})$ where

$\cos{\theta} = \dfrac{x_B}{\sqrt{x_B^2 + y_B^2}}$ and $\sin{\theta} = \dfrac{y_B}{\sqrt{x_B^2 + y_B^2}}$

Apr 2019
South Africa
What if A was at any location within the circle of radius 1 ?

Sorry for asking another question...