Mathematicians

Apr 2014
zagreb
Who's your fave mathematician? Mine's Galois.
Also, Hilbert, Cauchy, Abel, Artin, Noether, Kowalewska, Gauss, Eisenstein, Euler, Gentzen, Godel, Cohen, Cantor, Deligne, Weyl, Weil, Grothendieck, Newton, Riemann, Lagrange, Poincare, Ramanujan, Fermat.

Apr 2014
zagreb
:lol:

But can you be serious, please?

agentredlum

Math Team
Jul 2011
North America, 42nd parallel
Apollonius Of Perga.

Apollonius of Perga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Years ago on NYC PBS there was a series of programs called ''VCR taping services for teachers". Monday to Friday , from 3 A.M. to 5 A.M. I taped many wonderful programs. One program was about Conic Sections and a very sexy female voice would begin narration like so ...

"Between The Matrix and the Oracle of Perga lies the ancient cone of Apollonius , The Great Geometer. The first secret of The Cone is that it is actually a Double Cone."

And so on ...

I was hooked and never forgot it , later The Matrix movies came out with Oracle's , architects , awesome special effects and a unique way of filming motion and i got hooked on them too.

:)

Apr 2014
zagreb
Isn't here an Apolonius problem, solved by cauchy at a young age? Cauchy is devastaningly underrated, imo. Decades ago, I read he is one of hte greatest. Top 10. But nowadays, not so.

I forgot Von Neumann

MATHEMATICIAN

Math Team
Jul 2013
काठमाडौं, नेपाल
i don't khow much about mathematicians :D
but someday i'd love to be someone's favourite mathematician
i've heard of Newton, Euclid, Pythagoras, Dirac, Neumann, Leibnitz, Gauss, Cauchy etc.
my favourite is Newton :cloud9:

Apr 2014
zagreb
i don't khow much about mathematicians :D
but someday i'd love to be someone's favourite mathematician
i've heard of Newton, Euclid, Pythagoras, Dirac, Neumann, Leibnitz, Gauss, Cauchy etc.
my favourite is Newton :cloud9:
Well, Dirac was more a physicist, but there's Dirac delta function. Anyway, really where would everyone put Cauchy? There are so many reasons he should be in top 10. More math notions are named after him than anyone, he's the 4th most prolific (Euler, Erdoc, Cayley) he was maybe the 1st to introduce true rigour, was universal, and the founder of comlex analysis, an elegant branch. I can't believe that wiki didn't even mention him among noted mathematicains until recently, and, for example, Church was!

This is a good list, again except him.

http://www.fabpedigree.com/james/mathmen.htm

Well, Gauss can be only no 1.

Gauss, hands down.
Yes. He's the best.

Denis

Math Team
Oct 2011
Ottawa Ontario, Canada
raul, you're now at raul14, so you joined 14 times.
You "rejoin" every 2 posts...there's got to be something wrong somewhere...
Plus you are the ONLY one that apparently needs to do this.
None of my business....but I feel bad about this hardship you're going through...

Can a moderator not help you?
Problem has GOT to be that you're overlooking something simple...

Apr 2014
zagreb
If it doesn't bother anyone, it's no problem.