Geometry diagrams

Oct 2016
Arizona
Dear MyMathForum friends,

I was wondering what you use to create diagrams when submitting geometry solutions. I know $\LaTeX$ but I don't know how to create diagrams. For example, I see these complicated geometry diagrams people submit to Mathematics Magazine, but I'm not sure how to create them. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Last edited:
May 2018
Idaho, USA
I have no idea, but I've been wondering that too. Sometimes people post answers and they have diagrams. I've been trying to figure out how to do that myself. Perhaps somebody here will help us out.

Jared

Oct 2016
Arizona
Thank you. I see people turning in diagrams like the one attached and always wondered how they did it.

Attachments

skipjack

Forum Staff
Dec 2006
They possibly used Geometer's Sketchpad®. The labels are usually positioned manually. I sometimes add labels one pixel at a time if there's not much space for them.

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2016
TiKz is nice if you can be bothered to learn it. I always found it a pain though.

Another option (which depends on what/how you're drawing something) is to just write little scripts in R or Julia or whichever language has decent graphic capabilities (Python, MATLAB...). I mention R though because you can get high def plots using ggplot and there are a lot of options. The downside is that it is not a "click and drag" format like Geogebra and you'll need to come up with numerical values for everything you plot.

Last edited by a moderator: