Brain power or Staying power?

Jun 2019
New York
When it comes to math, students need to work on staying power, not brain power, since mastering math takes patience and persistence. I think math students need to develop stamina for solving math problems. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 2019
New York
Thank you for your opinion

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Aug 2012
I relate to that question very personally. I was always "good at math" and glided through high school and even much of my undergrad math major. I got killed in grad school. Everyone there is "good at math." Focus and discipline are what matter.

I read recently that the famous Terence Tao has written about having the same experience. He also never had to work hard, and when he got to grad school he got himself some study habits.

There's an old Broadway musical called Damn Yankees. One of the songs has the line: "Oh it's fine to be a genius of course; but put the old horse before the cart ... Oh ya gotta have heart!"

Smarts is not nearly enough.

Reactions: 2 people
Feb 2016
I relate to that question very personally. I was always "good at math" and glided through high school and even much of my undergrad math major. I got killed in grad school. Everyone there is "good at math." Focus and discipline are what matter.

I read recently that the famous Terence Tao has written about having the same experience. He also never had to work hard, and when he got to grad school he got himself some study habits.

There's an old Broadway musical called Damn Yankees. One of the songs has the line: "Oh it's fine to be a genius of course; but put the old horse before the cart ... Oh ya gotta have heart!"

Smarts is not nearly enough.
Too bad discipline alone can’t make it.

Jun 2019
AZ, Seattle, San Diego
… mastering math takes patience and persistence …
Mastering anything takes patience and persistence, but I can understand your perspective.

… students need to develop stamina … What do you think?
We call it 'grit' these days, and it's only one component of academic success.

I think mathematics is not unique, in these regards. 8)

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2019
India
Just like how a structure cannot stand for long without a strong foundation, a person cannot do well at Mathematics if his/her basics are unclear. It is only after this that patience, persistence, staying power, or further comes into the scenario.

Indeed I agree that it is difficult to do well in Maths until one practices and has the will to solve the problems. So, 'staying power' is important.