My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Real Analysis

Real Analysis Real Analysis Math Forum


Thanks Tree3Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
March 21st, 2018, 08:23 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 1,960
Thanks: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8archie View Post
That is the difference between a genuine mistake and deliberately and repeatedly posting stupid things that might confuse people.

There is no language in which posts like the first in this thread (and the many similar threads all started by Zylo) are worth posting more than once.

I didn't say he should be banned. If he wants to post something sensible, or learn, I have no problem. But threads like this one should be closed or deleted in my opinion. If he hasn't learned from any of the previous iterations, he won't learn from this one either.
V8Archie, I hope you don't mind if I kick something around with you. I actually think there is something interesting going that I'd like to try to express. What I mean to say is that in what follows, I'm not arguing or differing with you in any way. And by the way you can trust me that of course I do see your point of view in this particular situation and empathize with your feelings.

Ok so here's my thing. There's another poster, whose name I won't mention but whose posts are alternative and weirdly compelling. You enjoy engaging mathematically with that individual and regard them as interesting and worthy of conversation; even though their viewpoint is alternative. Trying to put intuition in front of the math, rather than allowing the math to form a more sophisticated intuition.

Now sometimes I regard that individual the way you do with Zylo: as just tiny bit more troll-y than they let on. Or just an epsilon short of the math logic gene, the gene that lets people grok the real numbers.

So THAT person, you engage with; and Zylo, you allow to annoy you. Whereas for me, lately it's been a bit of the opposite. The alt poster you like has been annoying me lately; and Zylo, well I see his math issues, but he doesn't trigger me. I enjoy him.

So v8archie what I'm trying to say is that who's sincere and who's cranky and troll-y and who's missing the real number gene and who annoys you ... is subjective. What pushes your buttons doesn't push mine, and vice versa.

Does any of this make sense to you? That who and what triggers us tells us more about ourselves than it does the thing outside of us. Because we're all annoyed by different things, and accepting of different things.

Last edited by Maschke; March 21st, 2018 at 08:26 PM.
Maschke is offline  
 
March 21st, 2018, 09:09 PM   #12
Math Team
 
Joined: Dec 2013
From: Colombia

Posts: 7,331
Thanks: 2457

Math Focus: Mainly analysis and algebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschke View Post
That who and what triggers us tells us more about ourselves than it does the thing outside of us. Because we're all annoyed by different things, and accepting of different things.
I don't deny that there's some truth to that.

But I think you're projecting. Firstly, if I've identified your mystery poster correctly, I have very rarely interacted with him (not least because his posts are often beyond what I can talk with any confidence about). Secondly, as I've said, it's not so much Zylo that gets on my nerves (although there is an element of that for various reasons). It's the incessant repetition of nonsense and a complete failure to accept or even engage with any counter argument. Zylo has posted some threads that have merit. But this wasn't one of them the first time around, and it certainly isn't the 3rd or 5th or whatever.
v8archie is offline  
March 21st, 2018, 09:47 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 1,960
Thanks: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8archie View Post
I don't deny that there's some truth to that.
I will take this to be a point of moderate agreement then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8archie View Post
It's the incessant repetition of nonsense and a complete failure to accept or even engage with any counter argument.
From where I sit, that "other poster" does the same, only in a much more subtle way. I say this because last year I spent a lot of time and energy addressing essentially the same puzzle in a different form. The OP (other poster!) admitted as much to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8archie View Post
Zylo has posted some threads that have merit. But this wasn't one of them the first time around, and it certainly isn't the 3rd or 5th or whatever.
So don't click on his threads! What law of nature or society gives YOU the right to decide who has the right of expression here, based on YOUR preferences, which you admit might not be someone ELSE's preference?

Last edited by Maschke; March 21st, 2018 at 09:53 PM.
Maschke is offline  
March 22nd, 2018, 03:37 AM   #14
Math Team
 
Joined: Dec 2013
From: Colombia

Posts: 7,331
Thanks: 2457

Math Focus: Mainly analysis and algebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschke View Post
From where I sit, that "other poster" does the same, only in a much more subtle way.
The key difference being that he started only one thread on the subject. The topic came up again as a result of somebody else's post. And the user shows some signs of listening to, and trying to understand other posters. None of this applies to Zylo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschke View Post
What law of nature or society gives YOU the right to decide who has the right of expression here, based on YOUR preferences, which you admit might not be someone ELSE's preference?
There is no "right of expression" further than that which moderators allow. I simply expressed my reasoned opinion, and only repeated it as a part of this conversation.

I have actually reduced the extent to which I engage with Zylo, but I am generally uncomfortable when BS is not called out on the forum because of the forum's educational nature. Sometimes I get sucked in as a result, which is my fault but doesn't change my opinion.
v8archie is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Real Analysis

Tags
aotomatically, argument, automatically, cantors, diagonal, fails, fails#



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cantors Diagonal Argument for n digits. zylo Real Analysis 21 July 15th, 2017 07:08 AM
Cantors Diagonal Argument, Logic zylo Topology 100 May 10th, 2017 09:00 AM
Cantors Diagonal Argument is Not Diagonal v8archie Topology 0 June 23rd, 2016 09:16 AM
Cantor's Diagonal Argument Fails by Inductiou zylo Topology 2 June 4th, 2016 06:30 AM
Cantors Diagonal Argument and Epimenides zylo Topology 4 March 8th, 2016 06:08 AM





Copyright © 2018 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.