My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > High School Math Forum > Probability and Statistics

Probability and Statistics Basic Probability and Statistics Math Forum


Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By Micrm@ss
  • 1 Post By dthiaw
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
August 6th, 2017, 04:45 AM   #1
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: europe

Posts: 51
Thanks: 0

Paper, scissor, rock

Let's consider a game of paper, scissor, rock. We have two players: player A and player B. Player A always do paper; player B always uses a mixed strategy, where he tosses a die, and if it comes out 1 or 2- he goes rock, if it comes out 3 or 4- he goes paper, and if it comes out 5 or 6- he goes scissor.

The game is repeated many, many, many, many times. Who is most likely to get more wins?

If the question is not concrete enough and can't be answered: let's say the game is played 100 times, who is most likely to get more wins?

P.S.: we are considering only wins, so lets ignore the draws in the context of my question.
DesertFox is offline  
 
August 6th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 142
Thanks: 60

Both are expected to get equal wins.
Thanks from DesertFox
Micrm@ss is online now  
August 6th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #3
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: europe

Posts: 51
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrm@ss View Post
Both are expected to get equal wins.
So, if we are considering one single "shot" of paper, scissor, rock.. mixed strategy is not better than pure strategy?

Mixed strategy is better than pure strategy only on the long run... i.e. if we are considering a series of plays.

Last edited by DesertFox; August 6th, 2017 at 08:49 AM.
DesertFox is offline  
August 6th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 142
Thanks: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
So, if we are considering one single "shot" of paper, scissor, rock.. mixed strategy is not better than pure strategy?

Mixed strategy is better than pure strategy only on the long run... i.e. if we are considering a series of plays.
Well, these are notions from statistics, and they only show up in the long run anyway. But yes, you are correct. However, in other similar games, one might as well be better than some other. It depends on the given implementation of the game.
Micrm@ss is online now  
August 6th, 2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2017
From: California

Posts: 80
Thanks: 8

The notion of long run or short run is irrelevant here. Besides the long run or short run may be subjective. What matters is whether your opponent has identified your strategy or not.

For example, even after a "long run" series of play, if your opponent absolutely have no clue about the pure strategy you are sticking with, you can be better off still playing that strategy.

In the other case, after three plays (just to make it look like there s a trend) if your opponent is aware that you r adopting a pure strategy, you would be better off switching to a mixed strategy. Here you are in the very short run
dthiaw is offline  
August 6th, 2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: europe

Posts: 51
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrm@ss View Post
Well, these are notions from statistics, and they only show up in the long run anyway. But yes, you are correct. However, in other similar games, one might as well be better than some other. It depends on the given implementation of the game.
I am still missing something fundamental in the definitions of pure strategy and mixed strategy.

Once I think everything is clear... the next moment I am clouded with new problem.

Could you give me an example of mixed strategy in tic, tac, toe? I know mixed strategies doesn't work in that game... but just give me an example.
DesertFox is offline  
August 6th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #7
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2017
From: California

Posts: 80
Thanks: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
I am still missing something fundamental in the definitions of pure strategy and mixed strategy.

Once I think everything is clear... the next moment I am clouded with new problem.

Could you give me an example of mixed strategy in tic, tac, toe? I know mixed strategies doesn't work in that game... but just give me an example.
You are one character man. you do not understand the concept of pure/mixed strategy. yet you had the nerves to tell me that I did not understand what they meant on the other thread
Thanks from SenatorArmstrong
dthiaw is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > High School Math Forum > Probability and Statistics

Tags
paper, rock, scissor



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Paper Scissors and coins! matisolla Probability and Statistics 1 June 17th, 2015 05:54 AM
Rock Paper Scissors Probability Question EvanJ Advanced Statistics 15 August 13th, 2014 02:34 PM
Finding the total energy of a rock PlzzHelp Physics 4 April 13th, 2014 01:07 AM
the paper bigli Real Analysis 3 May 22nd, 2007 10:00 AM





Copyright © 2017 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.