My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Number Theory Number Theory Math Forum


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
January 3rd, 2019, 11:19 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 784
Thanks: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM1 View Post
So his uniqueness argument is not merely unproven, but unprovable and unnecessary. ROFL
Problem is, you can't convince him of this, since he argues by contradiction...

You can come up with a different kind of algebraic structure where there are provably finitely many twin primes, and show his argument fails there. Or you can do like collag3n above and consider teta-primes to show his argument fails. But he doesn't understand those, so he will dismiss it.

By the way, you might be interested in a simple proof of Bael's conjecture, also very hilarious: The Simple Proof of Beal's Conjecture - xkcd
Micrm@ss is offline  
 
January 3rd, 2019, 11:24 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 784
Thanks: 280

Doesn't seem like the OP had much luck publishing his revolutionary results: https://www.ams.org/editflow/ef/stat...&cr=A394166B12
Micrm@ss is offline  
January 3rd, 2019, 11:28 AM   #53
Newbie
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Belgium

Posts: 18
Thanks: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwojobi View Post
You are all making a very simple explanation of the truth of the twin prime conjecture over complicated probably because the maths gurus like Field medalist, Terence Tao have made the twin prime conjecture a big deal when really it is not. My proof is just as logical and as simple as proving the infinitude of primes. My proof uses the sieve of Eratosthenes, which by the way is the algorithmic generator of the primes, to show the infinitude of twin primes. I have shown that the sieve of Eratosthenes cannot 'hit' all the 6n-1 and 6n+1 pairs using a simple proof. This sieve operates by giving every prime greater than 3 opportunities to eliminate 6n-1 and 6n+1 pairs. It is agreed that each prime in its infinite hopping will hop over an infinite number of un-eliminated 6n-1and 6n+1 pairs and therefore no one prime can eliminate all infinite number of 6n-1 and 6n+1 pairs. This means that the twin primes will never run out.

Read my post top of page 5 (if you didn't catch the flaw in the previous post I made): none of my teta-primes can eliminates all teta-twins (they eliminate a infinitely small portion of them at each step), there are still an infinite of teta-twins at each step but in the end, there is NO teta-twin at all. NONE !!!! But the reasoning is exactly the one you have. Can you explain why ? (this is basic math, no need to be Terence)
Collag3n is offline  
January 3rd, 2019, 11:30 AM   #54
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 2,162
Thanks: 879

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrm@ss View Post
Doesn't seem like the OP had much luck publishing his revolutionary results: https://www.ams.org/editflow/ef/stat...&cr=A394166B12
Ouch! That one has to sting.

I've never heard of this site. I like it!

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
January 3rd, 2019, 11:30 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 784
Thanks: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collag3n View Post
Read my post top of page 5 (if you didn't catch the flaw in the previous post I made): none of my teta-primes can eliminates all teta-twins (they eliminate a infinitely small portion of them at each step), there are still an infinite of teta-twins at each step but in the end, there is NO teta-twin at all. NONE !!!! But the reasoning is exactly the one you have. Can you explain why ? (this is basic math, no need to be Terence)
Smart argument! But don't bother, the OP won't understand the relevance of your example. He's been pushing this exact proof for 9 years already Proof of the Twin Prime Conjecture - xkcd
Micrm@ss is offline  
January 3rd, 2019, 01:55 PM   #56
Newbie
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Belgium

Posts: 18
Thanks: 7

At least I Tried

Ok, look again at my sieve (top of page 5). There is no way any of my teta-prime can eliminate all teta-twins. They NEVER RUN OUT like you say. At each step and forever, despite the infinite number of teta-multiples sieved, there will be infinitely many teta-twin candidates left.

You would think there are infinitely many teta-twins. Nonetheless I dare you to give me 1 (only 1) example of teta-twin that will never be sieved.
Collag3n is offline  
February 8th, 2019, 08:32 AM   #57
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Aug 2010

Posts: 170
Thanks: 4

I don't see how you can formulate an entirely different problem and begin to draw an analogy to my twin prime proof. In fact, come to think of it, I can dispense with all my talk about if the twin prime conjecture is false, it will take one and only one special prime to eliminate all the 6n-1 and 6n+1 pairs at some point in its elimination process. This has been the main statement that a lot of you have been hanging on to. I still believe in this statement but it doesn't even need to be in the proof because the mere fact that every prime, 5 or greater, will perpetually keep hopping over un-eliminated 6n-1 and 6n+1 pairs during its turn on the number line with all multiples of 2 and 3 removed is enough to prove the twin prime conjecture is true. Every prime having this property means that these pairs can never run out. No one, as yet, has come up with a way that these pairs can run out apart from one prime doing the job if this was possible. All you keep doing is formulating new problems and trying to use analogical arguments. That doesn't work for me. Stick to this twin prime problem at hand and explain if there is any other way for all these pairs to be eliminated at some point if the twin prime conjecture is false. None of you can because there is no other way i.e. if the twin prime conjecture is false. A fraction of infinity is a lesser infinity but still infinity. With my way that fraction of infinity is 1. This means that this prime takes out all the infinity number of pairs and not say a third or half or a quarter of infinity. Of course this latter part of my discussion is based on if the twin prime conjecture is false. I don't need to read some difficult philosophical books about infinity by the 'Greats' to come up with my own common sense concept of infinity.
MrAwojobi is offline  
February 8th, 2019, 10:32 AM   #58
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 2,162
Thanks: 879

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwojobi View Post
I don't need to read some difficult philosophical books about infinity by the 'Greats' to come up with my own common sense concept of infinity.
Common sense is a good thing to have. It leads us to interesting areas of Math. However common sense is trumped by proof. You say that there will always be pairs 6n - 1 and 6n + 1 that will not be "sieved out" but you offer no proof of this statement. As we have been saying all along.

It's nice when it happens but not everything is provable using High School level Math. Read some of those Philosophy texts. You might learn something there.

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
Closed Thread

  My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Tags
conjecture, prime, proof, twin



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin prime conjecture proof MrAwojobi Number Theory 20 October 31st, 2018 01:06 AM
The proof of the Twin Primes conjecture Al7-8Ex5-3:Fe#!D%03 Number Theory 3 September 30th, 2013 04:52 PM
Twin Prime Conjecture Macky Number Theory 8 September 28th, 2010 11:39 AM
Proof of the Twin Prime Conjecture MrAwojobi Number Theory 51 August 9th, 2010 11:09 AM
Twin prime conjecture(help) ogajajames Number Theory 4 April 26th, 2010 05:51 AM





Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.