My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Number Theory Number Theory Math Forum


Thanks Tree1Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
April 15th, 2018, 12:08 PM   #11
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 153
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrm@ss View Post
What is the area of a rectangle of length 0 and width 0.
0....but you do not have 0 rectangles do you...well you may...but 0 rectangles does not exist.....it is only that you do not have it...you must always have something..so when I have a 0 rectangles.....the answer is undefined...as the absences of rectangles does not exist....

Further saying that my rectangles of 0 is undefined is equivalent to saying my rectangle is 0.....my answer of "undefined" still works for the expression of 0 length multiplied by 0 width...


the difference you argue between

0 * 0 = undefined
0 * 0 = 0

is meaningless...

Last edited by Conway51; April 15th, 2018 at 12:11 PM.
Conway51 is offline  
 
April 15th, 2018, 12:17 PM   #12
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 153
Thanks: 0

To any concerned

Since the inability to define operations of zero by zero seems to be an issue...allow the following edit to the op....


All zero's must be accounted for.....

operations of 0 by 0 are not expressible as a sum

0 + 0 = 0 + 0

0 * 0 * 0 = 0 * 0 * 0

0/0 = 0/0

negative element of zero or otherwise......extend this thought to operations involving varying amounts of zero inside parenthesis.....


The length of a rectangle of 0 multiplied by the width of a rectangle 0 equlas 0 * 0

Last edited by Conway51; April 15th, 2018 at 12:21 PM.
Conway51 is offline  
April 15th, 2018, 12:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 365
Thanks: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway51 View Post
0....but you do not have 0 rectangles do you...well you may...but 0 rectangles does not exist.....it is only that you do not have it...you must always have something..so when I have a 0 rectangles.....the answer is undefined...as the absences of rectangles does not exist....
I am not saying you have zero rectangles. You have one rectangle of zero with and 0 length.

So the area is area=width*length. So 0=0*0 as you just agreed to. Thanks.
Micrm@ss is online now  
April 15th, 2018, 12:26 PM   #14
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 153
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrm@ss View Post
I am not saying you have zero rectangles. You have one rectangle of zero with and 0 length.

So the area is area=width*length. So 0=0*0 as you just agreed to. Thanks.
lol...you can not have a rectangle with zero width and zero length...lol

so...if post #12 by me nullifies your previous argument....would you offer another?
Conway51 is offline  
April 15th, 2018, 12:28 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 365
Thanks: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway51 View Post
lol...you can not have a rectangle with zero width and zero length...lol
But you just said it had area 0 in a previous post? Is that post wrong then?

Mathematically, the set $\{a\}\times \{b\}$ is a rectangle of zero width and zeor length.
Micrm@ss is online now  
April 15th, 2018, 12:30 PM   #16
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 153
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrm@ss View Post
But you just said it had area 0 in a previous post? Is that post wrong then?

Mathematically, the set $\{a\}\times \{b\}$ is a rectangle of zero width and zeor length.
I was giveing you the accepted answer in post #11.....0 * 0 is 0.....

And to be fare...none of us can "have" a rectangle with the dimension you described.....

therefore...the operation is undefined...or defined as 0 * 0...

and expression you agreed with....
Conway51 is offline  
April 15th, 2018, 12:32 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 365
Thanks: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway51 View Post
And to be fare...none of us can "have" a rectangle with the dimension you described.....
I just gave you one in my previous post.
Micrm@ss is online now  
April 15th, 2018, 12:33 PM   #18
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 153
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrm@ss View Post
I just gave you one in my previous post.
no where in that post was there a rectangle....

proof......is in the dimensions....or the pudding if you will......lol

you can say you have an empty set...or an empty vector...as well as an operation..but you do not have a rectangle.....
Conway51 is offline  
April 15th, 2018, 12:35 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 365
Thanks: 121

But fine, let's take some more examples. Let's take some good old six-sided dices, one red, and one green.

The probability of coming up with a 7 is 0 of course, since the dice have sides zero.

The multiplication rule of probability said that in independent events
$$\text{Prob}(A ~\text{and}~B) = \text{Prob}(A) \text{Prob}(B)$$

So the probability of coming up with a 7 on the red dice AND on the green dice, is the probablity of coming up with a 7 on the red multiplies with the probability of coming up with a 7 on the green.
Hence 0=0*0.
Micrm@ss is online now  
April 15th, 2018, 12:38 PM   #20
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 153
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrm@ss View Post
But fine, let's take some more examples. Let's take some good old six-sided dices, one red, and one green.

The probability of coming up with a 7 is 0 of course, since the dice have sides zero.

The multiplication rule of probability said that in independent events
$$\text{Prob}(A ~\text{and}~B) = \text{Prob}(A) \text{Prob}(B)$$

So the probability of coming up with a 7 on the red dice AND on the green dice, is the probablity of coming up with a 7 on the red multiplies with the probability of coming up with a 7 on the green.
Hence 0=0*0.
lol...ok.....so post #12 puts us in agreement 0 is equal to any number or type of operations on itself by itself.....shall we continue...


on a side note....what is the difference between 0 and undefined as the sum......?....lol
Conway51 is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Tags
numerical, superposition, superpostion



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Superposition of waves LUPhysics Trigonometry 1 May 9th, 2016 02:38 PM
antimatter by superposition of light BenFRayfield Physics 1 April 13th, 2015 05:37 AM
Superposition flames Kinroh Physics 2 March 2nd, 2015 05:34 AM
Differential equations/Princ. of superposition? zibb3r Differential Equations 2 September 14th, 2013 11:45 AM
differential equations - superposition principle mbradar2 Differential Equations 2 December 15th, 2010 06:02 AM





Copyright © 2018 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.