My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Number Theory Number Theory Math Forum


Thanks Tree6Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
December 15th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
romsek's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
From: CA

Posts: 1,106
Thanks: 578

scanning all these they all seem to stem from the same basic unease of infinite sets having zero measure.

I really like the argument in the xkcd comment. If you pick a random natural number, the next one you pick is almost surely greater than the one you picked. This right here precludes the idea of a uniform distribution on the naturals. The probability of picking any natural number we can represent given the matter available in the universe or less is 0 as there are infinitely many numbers greater than this.
romsek is online now  
 
December 15th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: USA

Posts: 204
Thanks: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschke View Post
...I'll offer some perspectives I found regarding putting uniform probability distributions on the naturals.
It looks like I have my homework cut out for me.
AplanisTophet is offline  
February 23rd, 2017, 07:34 PM   #23
Member
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: hyderabad

Posts: 41
Thanks: 0

Smile Arbitrary Set

Can anyone explain me what is an Arbitrary set ? and what is an Arbitrary union and Intersection ? if possible with definitions
Thank you
Lalitha183 is offline  
February 23rd, 2017, 08:09 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 1,145
Thanks: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha183 View Post
Can anyone explain me what is an Arbitrary set ? and what is an Arbitrary union and Intersection ? if possible with definitions
Thank you
In what context?

In general an arbitrary set is an arbitrary set. Any old set at all. Like an arbitrary restaurant, it's just any restaurant that's open when you happen to be hungry. Any old restaurant, any old set.

Arbitrary unions and intersections are just unions and intersections without restriction. For example if I have a collection of sets, in some applications we want to consider only finite intersections, or perhaps countable intersections. Without any restrictions we can consider arbitrary intersections. Intersections of a perhaps uncountable collection of sets.

I hope this vague answer is helpful but if you can say more about why you're asking I can give a more specific answer in the appropriate context.
Thanks from Joppy
Maschke is offline  
February 23rd, 2017, 11:49 PM   #25
Member
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: hyderabad

Posts: 41
Thanks: 0

Smile Arbitrary Set

Thank you Maschke. I have started reading topology. Here I come across Arbitrary sets more often. Do you mean an orbitrary set is a collection of sets of which cardinality cannot be expressed in a natural number ?
Can an arbitrary set be infinite and finite ?
Lalitha183 is offline  
February 24th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 1,145
Thanks: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha183 View Post
Thank you Maschke. I have started reading topology. Here I come across Arbitrary sets more often. Do you mean an orbitrary set is a collection of sets of which cardinality cannot be expressed in a natural number ?
Can an arbitrary set be infinite and finite ?
An arbitrary set could be finite OR infinite, yes. It couldn't be infinite AND finite, that would be a logical contradiction. A particular set is not necessarily a collection of sets unless they say so; although technically in set theory all sets are collections of sets. Perhaps if you give a specific context ...
Maschke is offline  
February 24th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #27
Member
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: hyderabad

Posts: 41
Thanks: 0

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschke View Post
An arbitrary set could be finite OR infinite, yes. It couldn't be infinite AND finite, that would be a logical contradiction. A particular set is not necessarily a collection of sets unless they say so; although technically in set theory all sets are collections of sets. Perhaps if you give a specific context ...

okay. Thanks for the information 😊
Lalitha183 is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Tags
question, set, theory



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Set Theory Question Mathsisthebestandisamazin Number Theory 7 November 22nd, 2016 05:44 PM
Kalphauer Theory Groundbreaking Theory? Yes or No? Need Help Completing Theory. flextera New Users 0 July 30th, 2014 12:12 PM
Category theory question ipp Abstract Algebra 0 December 8th, 2013 09:39 AM
Graph Theory question 12arte12 Applied Math 0 December 8th, 2013 08:20 AM
Question in Graph Theory mathdude Applied Math 6 November 30th, 2010 02:06 PM





Copyright © 2017 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.