My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Number Theory Number Theory Math Forum


Thanks Tree9Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
September 9th, 2015, 05:23 AM   #11
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 1,558
Thanks: 599

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorsorokin View Post
This topic is forbidden in all major forums.
I'm not talking about a Forum. I'm referring to peer reviewed journals, such as American Mathematical Society. If your work is correct you should send it there to get published.

You say you have a proof of FLT. Why are you posting it here first?

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
 
September 9th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #12
Math Team
 
Joined: Dec 2013
From: Colombia

Posts: 6,778
Thanks: 2195

Math Focus: Mainly analysis and algebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorsorokin View Post
This topic is forbidden in all major forums.
Probably because everything that is written on the subject is rubbish.
v8archie is online now  
September 9th, 2015, 07:04 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2010

Posts: 219
Thanks: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
I'm not talking about a Forum. I'm referring to peer reviewed journals, such as American Mathematical Society. If your work is correct you should send it there to get published.

You say you have a proof of FLT. Why are you posting it here first?

-Dan
No solid journal accepts (maybe for reason) papers from authors not affiliated with some scientific or educational institution. Though there are open access journals that publish for fee but their reputation among mathematicians is low enough for not going this way.
If this proof could be rewritten in more understandable style maybe somebody will read it beyond first couple of lines. But pretext to disprove it will be found pretty soon anyway.
Thanks from topsquark
McPogor is offline  
September 11th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2011

Posts: 132
Thanks: 1

Flt

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
I'm not talking about a Forum. I'm referring to peer reviewed journals, such as American Mathematical Society. If your work is correct you should send it there to get published.

You say you have a proof of FLT. Why are you posting it here first?

-Dan
Magazines are not considered proof of the FLT, because it does not exist.
victorsorokin is offline  
September 11th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2011

Posts: 132
Thanks: 1

erroneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPogor View Post
No solid journal accepts (maybe for reason) papers from authors not affiliated with some scientific or educational institution. Though there are open access journals that publish for fee but their reputation among mathematicians is low enough for not going this way.
If this proof could be rewritten in more understandable style maybe somebody will read it beyond first couple of lines. But pretext to disprove it will be found pretty soon anyway.
You're right: if there is at least one erroneous assertion, then the proof is wrong.
As long as no errors were found.
victorsorokin is offline  
September 11th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #16
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 932

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPogor View Post
No solid journal accepts (maybe for reason) papers from authors not affiliated with some scientific or educational institution.
No. A while back I read (and rather enjoyed) a very nice article by Roger Clement Crocker in the respected journal Colloquium Mathematicum. Or see
Lowther : Limits of one-dimensional diffusions
which was published by The Annals of Probability. Neither author has an institutional affiliation.

I'm not aware of any journal which refuses publication to those without affiliation. They're looking for quality in the papers, they don't care who the author is or where (s)he is from.
Thanks from victorsorokin
CRGreathouse is offline  
September 11th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2010

Posts: 219
Thanks: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
No. A while back I read (and rather enjoyed) a very nice article by Roger Clement Crocker in the respected journal Colloquium Mathematicum. Or see
Lowther : Limits of one-dimensional diffusions
which was published by The Annals of Probability. Neither author has an institutional affiliation.
Both authors are with math background, are not they. I checked Lowther - he had previous publications in Arxiv, where Perelman published his famous proof as well. I was denied registration there (I don't complain)

Quote:
I'm not aware of any journal which refuses publication to those without affiliation. They're looking for quality in the papers, they don't care who the author is or where (s)he is from.
They in journals don't (and actually are unable to) examine everything presented. So only qualified authors are accepted.
Thanks from victorsorokin
McPogor is offline  
September 11th, 2015, 09:27 AM   #18
Math Team
 
Joined: Dec 2013
From: Colombia

Posts: 6,778
Thanks: 2195

Math Focus: Mainly analysis and algebra
Actually, every respectable publication sends for peer review every paper it considers for publication.
Thanks from victorsorokin
v8archie is online now  
September 12th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2011

Posts: 132
Thanks: 1

Colloquium Mathematicum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
No. A while back I read (and rather enjoyed) a very nice article by Roger Clement Crocker in the respected journal Colloquium Mathematicum. Or see
Lowther : Limits of one-dimensional diffusions
[/i]. Neither author has an institutional affiliation.
Thanks!
victorsorokin is offline  
September 13th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #20
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 932

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPogor View Post
Both authors are with math background, are not they. I checked Lowther - he had previous publications in Arxiv, where Perelman published his famous proof as well. I was denied registration there (I don't complain)
Are you moving the goalposts on me?

OK, what about Alicia Boole Stott? She wasn't university-educated (in mathematics or otherwise) or attached to any educational institution, but she was able to get at least half a dozen papers published in good journals.

Really, journals don't care who you are, they just care about what you produce. If you write good things and they publish them, their prestige increases. If you write great things and they reject you, they have egg on their face.
CRGreathouse is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Tags
elementary, fermat's, fermat’s, proof, theorem



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Total curvature elementary proof talisman Real Analysis 0 November 1st, 2012 04:16 AM
Simpler, Elementary (less than one page) and Logical Proof o MrAwojobi Number Theory 17 September 2nd, 2011 11:04 AM
proof by using greens theorem or stokes theorem george gill Calculus 5 May 14th, 2011 02:13 PM
Elementary Goldbach proof meteuzun Number Theory 3 February 10th, 2010 01:10 PM
Theorem Proof HairOnABiscuit Real Analysis 4 December 17th, 2009 12:37 PM





Copyright © 2017 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.