My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Number Theory Number Theory Math Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
November 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: computation problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by islam
i would request ageneral formula for any k
Formula or algorithm? If formula, please define what you mean by "formula" more precisely.
CRGreathouse is offline  
 
November 24th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2010

Posts: 288
Thanks: 1

Re: computation problem

aformula with k exoressing how many diffirent even numbers can we make out of k odd numbers by adding every two numbers
islam is offline  
November 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #13
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: computation problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by islam
aformula with k exoressing how many diffirent even numbers can we make out of k odd numbers by adding every two numbers
Yes, but what do you mean by "formula"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-form_expression
CRGreathouse is offline  
November 24th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2010

Posts: 288
Thanks: 1

Re: computation problem

for example right aformula for the sum of the first n natural numbers meanining 1+2+3+.........+n the formula is as u definetly know n(n+1)/2 this is what i mean
islam is offline  
November 24th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: computation problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by islam
for example right aformula for the sum of the first n natural numbers meanining 1+2+3+.........+n the formula is as u definetly know n(n+1)/2 this is what i mean
That formula uses only addition and multiplication. What operations will you allow? It's not obvious that a formula exists.
CRGreathouse is offline  
November 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2010

Posts: 288
Thanks: 1

Re: computation problem

thats why i am asking coz i tried to find one i just failed i asked my teacher he didnt know so i thought there might be some genius in this forum who could have gotten some inspiration ..... anyway u think such aformula if existed u think it will help know more about the distribution of prime number by supposing that goldbachs conjecture is true ... i think if it exists we could make astatement equal to reimanns hypothesis it seems it would be even easier than that of reimann...
islam is offline  
November 25th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: computation problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by islam
thats why i am asking coz i tried to find one i just failed i asked my teacher he didnt know so i thought there might be some genius in this forum who could have gotten some inspiration ..... anyway u think such aformula if existed u think it will help know more about the distribution of prime number by supposing that goldbachs conjecture is true ... i think if it exists we could make astatement equal to reimanns hypothesis it seems it would be even easier than that of reimann...
Let me take those one at a time.

No, I don't think there is a formula for this, using a typical definition of formula. I think this would be hard to prove, but it's been done -- compare Richardson's theorem or Cherry's improved version of it. My belief in this point is not too strong, though; I could be swayed by an appropriate expert.

If there was such a formula, I don't think that it would yield any additional insight into the prime numbers. In particular, there are too many Goldbach partitions for any given number for this to help at all. I'm fairly sure of this belief.

I'm quite sure that such a formula wouldn't give an easier method to attack the Riemann hypothesis.
CRGreathouse is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Tags
computation, problem



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computation of an integral. ZardoZ Complex Analysis 0 May 4th, 2013 01:12 PM
computation of pi (?) unm Number Theory 1 November 17th, 2012 09:58 AM
Computation of L(4) mathbalarka Calculus 9 August 31st, 2012 05:40 AM
Integral Computation! ZardoZ Real Analysis 3 September 8th, 2011 04:49 AM
What do you use for symbolic computation ?? juliette salexa Math Software 0 December 22nd, 2009 10:39 AM





Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.