My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Number Theory Number Theory Math Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
February 23rd, 2010, 11:16 AM   #11
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: New sequence containing all the primes + some semi-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
I said and I quote myself

"Are all the prime numbers >3 in the sequence and why? "
Yes, and I've twice explained why they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
Anyway there is other ways to sieve the sequence such as it removes all non primes.
Sure, Eratosthenes came up with a good method a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
35 is not divisible by 2 nor by 3
35 is a semi-prime
35 is an element of the sequence
Yes, I already told you that all semiprimes not divisible by 2 or 3 are in the sequence.
CRGreathouse is offline  
 
February 23rd, 2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2007

Posts: 633
Thanks: 0

Re: New sequence containing all the primes + some semi-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
I said and I quote myself

"Are all the prime numbers >3 in the sequence and why? "
Yes, and I've twice explained why they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
Anyway there is other ways to sieve the sequence such as it removes all non primes.
Sure, Eratosthenes came up with a good method a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
35 is not divisible by 2 nor by 3
35 is a semi-prime
35 is an element of the sequence
Yes, I already told you that all semiprimes not divisible by 2 or 3 are in the sequence.
14 is semi-prime divisible by 2
22 and so on
14, 22,38 etc.... are on the sequence.
momo is offline  
February 23rd, 2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: New sequence containing all the primes + some semi-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
14 is semi-prime divisible by 2
22 and so on
14, 22,38 etc.... are on the sequence.
I never claimed that they weren't in the sequence.
CRGreathouse is offline  
February 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2007

Posts: 633
Thanks: 0

Re: New sequence containing all the primes + some semi-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
14 is semi-prime divisible by 2
22 and so on
14, 22,38 etc.... are on the sequence.
I never claimed that they weren't in the sequence.
Here is your claim

The sequence contains:

All primes except those divisible by {2, 3}
All semiprimes except those divisible by {2, 3}
All 3-almost primes except those divisible by {2, 3}
...
All k-almost primes except those divisible by {2, 3}


So 14,22,38 are divisible by 2
14,22,38 are semi-prime
I do not understand ....
momo is offline  
February 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM   #15
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: New sequence containing all the primes + some semi-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
Here is your claim

The sequence contains:

All primes except those divisible by {2, 3}
All semiprimes except those divisible by {2, 3}
All 3-almost primes except those divisible by {2, 3}
...
All k-almost primes except those divisible by {2, 3}
Yes, I stand by that claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
So 14,22,38 are divisible by 2
14,22,38 are semi-prime
I do not understand ....
I didn't say that there are no semiprimes in the sequence that are divisible by 2 or 3. I said that all the ones that aren't are in the sequence.

"All primes are natural numbers" does not imply "No composites are natural numbers". "All numbers not divisible by 2 or 3 are in the sequence" does not imply "No numbers divisible by 2 or 3 are in the sequence".
CRGreathouse is offline  
February 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2007

Posts: 633
Thanks: 0

Re: New sequence containing all the primes + some semi-prime

I'm really dumb!
momo is offline  
February 24th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #17
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: New sequence containing all the primes + some semi-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
I'm really dumb!
Nah, but you missed something. Maybe you can now prove precisely which even semiprimes are in the sequence. (I did this, but you can do it on your own. You'll need to consider four cases: 4, 6, 8k+2 with k > 0, and 8k+6 with k > 1.) Here's the formula for S:
for n odd and for n even.

Maybe you can even prove which semiprimes divisible by 3 are in the sequence. I haven't done that.
CRGreathouse is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Number Theory

Tags
primes, semiprime, sequence



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sum of digits and odd semi-primes mobel Number Theory 10 February 9th, 2014 08:41 AM
Factoring special semi-prime azerbajdzan Number Theory 2 September 24th, 2011 05:01 AM
Factorization of big odd semi-primes Bogauss Number Theory 8 February 16th, 2011 08:51 AM
Semi-prime numbers and factorization momo Number Theory 19 June 23rd, 2008 09:18 AM
Transparent semi-primes momo Number Theory 23 December 19th, 2007 11:50 AM





Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.