My Math Forum

New Users Post up here and introduce yourself!

February 18th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Newbie

Joined: Feb 2013
From: Tennessee, USA

Thanks: 0

Intro

Hello All,

Some years ago, I parlayed an eclectic collection of physics prerequisites and electives into a minor in mathematics.
That helped me to decide that a nice hobby in my golden years is pondering math and the world. This seems like a nice forum to visit for that purpose.
However, I may not post much because the last time I tried a rational discussion, the Pythagoras Yacht Club threw me overboard.

Larry
LarryAR is offline

February 18th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Member

MarkFL's Avatar

Joined: Jul 2010
From: St. Augustine, FL., U.S.A.'s oldest city

Thanks: 521

Math Focus: Calculus/ODEs
Re: Intro

Hello and welcome, Larry!

We rarely make anyone walk the plank here!

Best Regards,

Mark.
MarkFL is offline
February 18th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Newbie

Joined: Feb 2013
From: Tennessee, USA

Thanks: 0

Re: Intro

Thanks Mark,

Good to know I'll stay dry.

Larry
LarryAR is offline
February 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Math Team

Joined: Oct 2011
From: Ottawa Ontario, Canada

Thanks: 1038

Re: Intro

Larry, your initiation question:
Jack was born in 1956, and is now (in 2013) 7 years old.
Howzz dat possible?
Denis is offline
February 18th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Math Team

Joined: Apr 2012

Thanks: 22

Re: Intro

Well, I coincidentally was born in 1956 and am just 7 years old because I was assassinated in Dallas in 1963.

Oh wait ...

No, that was another John.

Sorry.
johnr is offline
February 18th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Newbie

Joined: Feb 2013
From: Tennessee, USA

Thanks: 0

Denis wrote:
> Larry, your initiation question:
> Jack was born in 1956, and is now (in 2013) 7 years old.
> Howzz dat possible?

My big old round calendar from South America stopped working last year but here are my thoughts:

1. You are quality whiskey

Or ...

2013-1956=57 years
Current age 7 could mean something with an 8 year cycle
not leap year (4yr)
not cicada (17 yr)

2. You must be an octalpus!

Larry
LarryAR is offline
February 18th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Math Team

Joined: Apr 2012

Thanks: 22

Re: Intro

I was thinking maybe years on other planets, but you'd be too old from Mars on in and too young from Jupiter on out.
johnr is offline
February 18th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #8
Math Team

Joined: Oct 2011
From: Ottawa Ontario, Canada

Thanks: 1038

Re: Intro

Hint: no calculating required, like 2013-1956: it's a complete riddle.
Denis is offline
February 18th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Senior Member

MarkFL's Avatar

Joined: Jul 2010
From: St. Augustine, FL., U.S.A.'s oldest city

Thanks: 521

Math Focus: Calculus/ODEs
Re: Intro

Second hint: you might decide to send Denis to his corner when you solve it. :P
MarkFL is offline
February 18th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Newbie

Joined: Feb 2013
From: Tennessee, USA

Thanks: 0

Re: Intro

Denis wrote:
> Howzz dat possible?
> Hint: no calculating required

Okay, so Jack is not whiskey aged 7 years in a cask, bottled in 1956.

...and Jack is not an octalpus (my internal audience chuckled).

It would be possible if Jack is a fictional character first published in 2006.
Fictionally born in 1956, actually created 7 years ago.

Similarly it would be possible if Jack is a fictional character age 7, first published in 1956.
e.g. "Calvin and Hobbs" was first published (born) in 1985. Calvin is 6 years old.

Larry
LarryAR is offline

  My Math Forum > Welcome > New Users

Tags