My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Math General Math Forum - For general math related discussion and news


Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 2 Post By CRGreathouse
  • 1 Post By 3uler
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
February 25th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Seattle

Posts: 96
Thanks: 2

Love math, don't enjoy statistics...

Hey guys,

Firstly, I thought this was the most appropriate sub-forum but if not then feel free to move it (my question is aimed more at pure math types hence why I didn't post it in the statistics sub-forum).

So I've always loved math, why wouldn't I? I only recently started learning a bit of statistics, I've always only done "pure" math but I figured hey it's math so I'll love it. The problem is, I really don't. I find it really boring and there is this insane stuff about how a distribution "looks" and so on (for instance). I wanted to know if firstly, is this just in the stats 101 type courses - does it get more rigorous/precise when learned at a higher level?

Secondly, if the answer to my first question is no then does anyone else find this? It seems like everyone I know who is a "math person" loves statistics which leads me to thinking I'm either missing something about stats or if not then whether I'm the odd one out here.

Look forward to any input you guys have.


-3uler.
3uler is offline  
 
February 25th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 937

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
I've never enjoyed stats, even though I like math a lot. I had the same experience of finding them 'dirty' next to the pristine grandeur of mathematics.

On the other hand, I've found statistics extremely useful, so I'd encourage you to take at least a bit (and maybe more than that!).
Thanks from MarkFL and 3uler
CRGreathouse is offline  
February 25th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: Earth

Posts: 827
Thanks: 36

Same goes to mechanics for me.
jiasyuen is offline  
February 25th, 2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Math Team
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Texas

Posts: 2,663
Thanks: 1328

Math majors at my University were split into three tracks of concentrated study ... pure math, applied math, and stats. We affectionately referred to stat students as "bean counters".

I concentrated in applied math, and looking back, statistics might have been a better choice ... many "bean counters" became licensed actuaries and made the big $$$ working for insurance firms.
skeeter is offline  
February 25th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #5
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 937

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
I concentrated in applied math, and looking back, statistics might have been a better choice ... many "bean counters" became licensed actuaries and made the big $$$ working for insurance firms.
I've heard (but don't have data to support) that stats majors make good money compared to math majors.
CRGreathouse is offline  
February 27th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #6
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Seattle

Posts: 96
Thanks: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
I've never enjoyed stats, even though I like math a lot. I had the same experience of finding them 'dirty' next to the pristine grandeur of mathematics.

On the other hand, I've found statistics extremely useful, so I'd encourage you to take at least a bit (and maybe more than that!).
It's nice to know I'm not alone in this!

That's what I keep reminding myself of which is strange because that's exactly the opposite of what I think with math. I don't care about how useful it is, I just think its awesome. I'm trying to get into it in some way but it's not happening yet!


------------------
Luckily we generally don't get into math for the money!
Thanks from CRGreathouse
3uler is offline  
February 27th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #7
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 937

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3uler View Post
Luckily we generally don't get into math for the money!
It's not a bad way to make money, but if you want to make math *by* doing math you'll need to get a PhD or a Master's at least. But even a Bachelor's in math opens a lot of doors (just to something other than pure math).

And of course the enjoyment is there -- that's why I took it, rather than for any career reason.
CRGreathouse is offline  
February 27th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #8
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Seattle

Posts: 96
Thanks: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
It's not a bad way to make money, but if you want to make math *by* doing math you'll need to get a PhD or a Master's at least. But even a Bachelor's in math opens a lot of doors (just to something other than pure math).

And of course the enjoyment is there -- that's why I took it, rather than for any career reason.
It can definitely be lucrative but most people who want to make money do business etc. Even if you wish to make money with math, you pretty much do it because you're passionate anyway. Don't you agree?
3uler is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Tags
enjoy, love, math, statistics



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
enjoy with Combination KyVanchhay Math Events 2 July 27th, 2013 02:08 AM
statistics in math kingkos Probability and Statistics 1 December 6th, 2012 01:41 PM





Copyright © 2017 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.