My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Math General Math Forum - For general math related discussion and news


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
July 30th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Monox D. I-Fly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Indonesia

Posts: 2,001
Thanks: 132

Math Focus: Trigonometry
Mathematicards Trading Card Game

I don't know if this is okay for me to write about my project in this board or not. Feel free for the mods to delete this thread if necessary. I just want to get suggestion from you guys. Years ago, when I was at my $\displaystyle 2^{nd}$ semester in college which I took mathematics education subject, I was addicted to Yu-Gi-Oh! much. From there I had a dream to make a mathematics-based Trading Card Game for my graduation requirement. When the time came, the lecturers all agreed about that and luckily the research went well which took place in my ex's class who was $\displaystyle 8^{th}$ grader at the time using algebra subject. Now that I am graduating, I want to use this Trading Card Game as educational tools. However I have a hard time developing them because some subjects like Geometry and Trogonometry will be hard to implement there. During my research it was easy because for algebra subject I only needed to make Constant, Operation, Parenthesis, and Variable cards. I have also thought about Function cards like Factorial and Integral. My problem is how to implement something like shapes, time, weight, etc. in this Trading Card Game. I also want to comercialize this Trading Card Game but I don't know what steps I must take. Besides, at this point it is way too simple to even call it a Trading Card Game. Producing Mathematicards Trading Card Game is one of my biggest dreams. But even Vandaria Wars, the only Trading Card Game from my country (as in physical Trading Card Game, not arcade or online ones) has been dead despite it was battle-themed. It make me pessimistic about Mathematicards, not to mention that at this point mine is still only using numbers and symbols. For those of you who want to see the example, here are they:

As you can see, it's a Constant card.

This one is an Operation card.

These are Parenthesis cards and must be played together.

The last one is a Variable card.

This was the final match. The boy on the right (who's staring at his opponent) won the tournament I hold in their class.

Do you guys have any idea how to improve this card game so that it can cover all subjects on mathematics?
Monox D. I-Fly is offline  
 
July 30th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Would you explain gameplay? What's the goal, and how do you get there?

As far as mathematical trading card games go, the first one I think of is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering
which was created by a combinatorialist,
Richard Garfield, Ph.D. (Unhinged) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
CRGreathouse is offline  
July 30th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Monox D. I-Fly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Indonesia

Posts: 2,001
Thanks: 132

Math Focus: Trigonometry
THE RULES OF MATHEMATICARDS TRADING CARD GAME (TCG) FOR ALGEBRAIC FORM OPERATION LESSON

1. Can be played by 2-4 players.
2. Each players build a deck consisted of 48 cards from their available pool with maximum 4 copies of Constant cards with the same name, 4 copies of Operation cards with the same name, 16 copies Variable cards with the same name, and 8 pairs of Parenthesis with the same name.
3. Before the game begins, each player’s decks are shuffled while determining the target (usually a number) regarding the lesson being taught. During this Algebraic Form Operation lesson the targets achieved are operations of algebraic form. Target is determined by shuffling the remaining cards (not included in any deck) and drawing the cards from the top until getting 1 or 2 Variable cards, 1 Operation cards, and 1 or 2 Constant cards (which will be used as the coefficients of two Variable cards drawn before) and then those three or five cards are arranged as an operation of algebraic form used as the Target.
4. At the first turn, all players draw 6 cards from their deck.
5. In a player’s turn, that player draws 3 cards from his/her deck. A player can play as many cards as he/she wants but limited to one card per category. “Categgory” includes Constant, Operation, Variable, and et cetera. However Parenthesis cards must be played a pair at once, which are Open Bracket and Close Bracket.
6. A player has the right to change the order of cards he/she has arranged only in his/her own turn.
7. If there is a subtraction which results in 0 or a division which result in 1 on a player’s field, that player has the right to return the cards resulting in those operations to the top of his/her deck then shuffle it.
Examples:
a. If in a player’s field there’s an operation of x – 4 + 8 – 4, that player has the right to return –, 4, +, 8, –, and 4 cards to the top of his/her deck then shuffle it.
b. If in a player’s field there’s an operation of 75x – 48 x + 97 – 27x, that player has the right to return 7, 5, x, –, 4, 8, x, –, 2, 7, and x cards to the top of his/her deck then shuffle it.
c. If in a player’s field there’s an operation of 15y ÷ (3 × 5), that player has the right to return 1, 5, ÷, (, 3, ×, 5, and ) cards to the top of his/her deck then shuffle it.
d. If in a player’s field there’s an operation of 96x2 ÷ (x × x), that player has the right to return x2, ÷, (, x, ,×, x and ) to the top of his/her deck then shuffle it.
8. The winner is the player who can achieve the determined Target (including equal operations). However a player can’t declare victory without playing at least two Constant cards. This rule is made so that there is no player who wins in the very first turn by pure luck.
9. If a player runs out of cards in his/her deck, he/she automatically loses.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Sorry about this post is not neat, I don't know how to do.

And yes, I know about Magic: The Gathering. In fact, I'm a fan of Richard Garfield because he's also a math teacher. However, it's not a Trading Card Game which focuses on mathematics itself. If you say mathematical, all Trading Card Games are mathematical.
Monox D. I-Fly is offline  
July 30th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Sounds interesting, I'll try to look at it tomorrow. It's late in my timezone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
And yes, I know about Magic: The Gathering. In fact, I'm a fan of Richard Garfield because he's also a math teacher. However, it's not a Trading Card Game which focuses on mathematics itself. If you say mathematical, all Trading Card Games are mathematical.
Well, not overtly mathematical, but there's a lot of math at different levels in Magic. At the most elementary level there's addition and subtraction for life totals and counting for cards in hand (and, rarely, elsewhere). At a higher level probabilities are very useful. Beyond that lots of game theory opens up with mixed strategies and the like.
CRGreathouse is offline  
July 30th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Monox D. I-Fly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Indonesia

Posts: 2,001
Thanks: 132

Math Focus: Trigonometry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Well, not overtly mathematical, but there's a lot of math at different levels in Magic. At the most elementary level there's addition and subtraction for life totals and counting for cards in hand (and, rarely, elsewhere). At a higher level probabilities are very useful. Beyond that lots of game theory opens up with mixed strategies and the like.
I know that. In fact, I'm also interested in Hydra archtype which implements Geometric sequence. A few of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards does that, too.
Monox D. I-Fly is offline  
July 31st, 2014, 05:10 AM   #6
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
5. In a player’s turn, that player draws 3 cards from his/her deck. A player can play as many cards as he/she wants but limited to one card per category. “Categgory” includes Constant, Operation, Variable, and et cetera. However Parenthesis cards must be played a pair at once, which are Open Bracket and Close Bracket.
I wonder if it would be worthwhile to implement the Magic rule here ("draw or go"). With multiple players, perhaps the first person draws 0 on their first turn only, the second player draws 1 on their first turn only, and the third player draws 2 on their first turn only. This (like rule would reduce the benefit of going first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
7. If there is a subtraction which results in 0 or a division which result in 1 on a player’s field, that player has the right to return the cards resulting in those operations to the top of his/her deck then shuffle it.
When would this be to the player's advantage? I'd think you'd want as many cards on the table as possible, and if you're able to arrange them to sum to 0 then they certainly aren't hurting you.
CRGreathouse is offline  
July 31st, 2014, 05:12 AM   #7
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
I know that. In fact, I'm also interested in Hydra archtype which implements Geometric sequence.
Neat. That could even lead to logarithms: your opponent's life-gain deck is at 512 life, how many turns until you can clobber them with your hydra?
CRGreathouse is offline  
July 31st, 2014, 06:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Monox D. I-Fly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Indonesia

Posts: 2,001
Thanks: 132

Math Focus: Trigonometry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
I wonder if it would be worthwhile to implement the Magic rule here ("draw or go"). With multiple players, perhaps the first person draws 0 on their first turn only, the second player draws 1 on their first turn only, and the third player draws 2 on their first turn only. This (like rule would reduce the benefit of going first.
Currently I made a change so that when more than 1 player achieve the Target in a set of turns (by "a set", I mean when all players have undergone a single turn starting with the first player), those players achieving the Target are declared as Tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
When would this be to the player's advantage? I'd think you'd want as many cards on the table as possible, and if you're able to arrange them to sum to 0 then they certainly aren't hurting you.
To prevent running out of cards, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Neat. That could even lead to logarithms: your opponent's life-gain deck is at 512 life, how many turns until you can clobber them with your hydra?
Hey, I didn't think about that! Thank you!
Monox D. I-Fly is offline  
July 31st, 2014, 06:41 AM   #9
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
To prevent running out of cards, of course.
Ah. Is that really a concern, though? Do people really go for 13 turns without being able to solve (and so losing on the 14th)?
CRGreathouse is offline  
July 31st, 2014, 06:49 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Monox D. I-Fly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Indonesia

Posts: 2,001
Thanks: 132

Math Focus: Trigonometry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Ah. Is that really a concern, though? Do people really go for 13 turns without being able to solve (and so losing on the 14th)?
Just in case. And also, so that the cards don't take too much available space on the field.
Monox D. I-Fly is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Tags
card, game, mathematicards, trading



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Card Game - settle an argument gmpco Advanced Statistics 4 February 13th, 2012 07:04 PM
Card game Combinatorics eternity Algebra 1 August 6th, 2010 12:46 PM
Probability in a Trading Card Game?? RayZorback Advanced Statistics 3 June 30th, 2008 12:49 PM
Probability in a Trading Card Game?? RayZorback Algebra 1 June 18th, 2008 07:48 AM





Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.