My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Math General Math Forum - For general math related discussion and news


Thanks Tree22Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
January 21st, 2019, 09:48 AM   #21
Math Team
 
Joined: Dec 2013
From: Colombia

Posts: 7,600
Thanks: 2588

Math Focus: Mainly analysis and algebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AplanisTophet View Post
Why do you think we would want to work with such statements that cannot be proven?
Because both Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry are extremely useful, to give one concrete example.
Thanks from topsquark and AplanisTophet
v8archie is offline  
 
January 21st, 2019, 02:14 PM   #22
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 2,042
Thanks: 815

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
I was going to make a number of comments in the OP but it seems everyone has beaten me to it.

I will add one further thing. I have done some investigations into merging Religion and Physics. Combined they do answer more questions than either one separately but at a cost: The structure is no longer Religion or Physics. Even the Scientific Method breaks down. So far I can see no real use for the combination.

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
January 21st, 2019, 03:30 PM   #23
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Dec 2006

Posts: 20,298
Thanks: 1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintan View Post
. . . the fact our numbering language is fundamentally flawed.
Why insist that anything is a fact (especially on unchecked grounds), given that you also stated that your default position is "I don't know"?
skipjack is offline  
January 21st, 2019, 04:51 PM   #24
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 2,042
Thanks: 815

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
Why insist that anything is a fact (especially on unchecked grounds), given that you also stated that your default position is "I don't know"?
A three word explanation: He's a troll.

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
January 21st, 2019, 04:53 PM   #25
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 2,042
Thanks: 815

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintan View Post
Thanks for all the contributions. This has given me some extremely valuable food for thought.

There can be no doubt that our current mathematical model has things ‘near as dammit’ from my own experience with structural calculations. I do just wonder though if we had the chance to forget everything we know and start from scratch; would we do anything differently.
I doubt anything of substance would change. Mathematics generally uses exact numbers whereas the greatest accuracy in Physics is, I think, only 15 decimal places or so. There's nothing there to change.

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
January 21st, 2019, 06:22 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 2,157
Thanks: 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
I have done some investigations into merging Religion and Physics.
Are you making fun of the string theorists and multiversersers?

I'd say there's still a strong case to be made for the fundamental differences between science and religion; even if our postmodern age does put a strain on the argument.
Maschke is online now  
January 21st, 2019, 07:47 PM   #27
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 2,042
Thanks: 815

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschke View Post
Are you making fun of the string theorists and multiversersers?

I'd say there's still a strong case to be made for the fundamental differences between science and religion; even if our postmodern age does put a strain on the argument.
I don't typically pick on String theorists, just Michio Kaku.

The main issue becomes a question about how the Scientific Method works in such a construction. Consider that we may have a "holy man" (or whatever) that says a prayer and it is granted by some higher power. What's just happened is that the holy man has observed an effect that others might not be able to replicate. This causes problems because when the Scientific Method is applied to properly designed experiments anyone, even a Kindergartener, should be able to replicate the results. I call such an observer like the holy man to be a "privileged observer."

So either we have to redefine how the Scientific Method is applied to account for such privileged observers or we need to find another guiding principle to Scientific/Spiritual research. I have yet to find a research method like that. (I've been looking for years and I've pretty much given up on it.)

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
January 21st, 2019, 11:05 PM   #28
Newbie
 
Joined: Jan 2019
From: UK

Posts: 18
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
Why insist that anything is a fact (especially on unchecked grounds), given that you also stated that your default position is "I don't know"?
I think this thread proves that statement as factually correct. What's your point?
sintan is offline  
January 21st, 2019, 11:11 PM   #29
Newbie
 
Joined: Jan 2019
From: UK

Posts: 18
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
A three word explanation: He's a troll.

-Dan
What is it with the open hostility on this forum?

What's the word for someone who has read 23 posts of conversations and still fails to grasp the nettle? Ignorant.
sintan is offline  
January 22nd, 2019, 01:12 AM   #30
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 2,042
Thanks: 815

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintan View Post
What is it with the open hostility on this forum?

What's the word for someone who has read 23 posts of conversations and still fails to grasp the nettle? Ignorant.
Your "nettle" is a vacuous statement designed with the sole purpose of initiating some kind of polarizing argument.

Call me what you want but you are still, by definition, a Troll.

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math



Thread Tools
Display Modes






Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.