My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Math General Math Forum - For general math related discussion and news

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
March 14th, 2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Joined: Mar 2018
From: California

Posts: 1
Thanks: 0

Term for different ways of expressing the same value?

Is there a term for the fact that a number can be expressed in many ways, e.g., 3 can be written as (3/1)^1 and mean the same thing? Or the fact that the value of a number such as 3 can be expressed in infinite ways and still retain the same value? For instance, the value of 3 can be expressed as (2^2 - 1) or (3x3 +3)/4?

Is there a formal term for these sorts of things? A morphism of some kind? Is there a formal way to express the infinite ways a single value can be expressed?
CommonOddity is offline  
March 14th, 2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
romsek's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2015
From: USA

Posts: 2,505
Thanks: 1374

I guess they could be called "equivalent expressions".
romsek is offline  
March 15th, 2018, 03:46 AM   #3
Math Team
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Ottawa Ontario, Canada

Posts: 14,597
Thanks: 1038

3-0=3, 4-1=3, 5-2=3, 6-3=3, .........., n-(n-3)=3

Seems kinda useless stuff...why are you asking?
Denis is offline  

  My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

expressing, term, ways

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Expressing in the from a+jb? Tangeton Complex Analysis 1 March 27th, 2017 11:08 AM
Expressing n jamesbrown Algebra 10 June 7th, 2016 07:40 AM
Sequence - Term to term help required Hardup New Users 3 April 30th, 2016 10:12 AM
expressing wj ARTjoMS Applied Math 0 May 8th, 2012 03:19 AM
Term by term differentiation forcesofodin Real Analysis 4 August 14th, 2010 05:50 PM

Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.