My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Math General Math Forum - For general math related discussion and news


Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By v8archie
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
January 21st, 2017, 07:56 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Joined: Jan 2017
From: California

Posts: 1
Thanks: 0

New blog: Infinity Plus One

So, I've started a new blog, Infinity Plus One, discussing more advanced math topics, but aimed at a lay audience. I thought this forum looked like a place where people interested in this kind of resource (or who know those who would be) congregate. So, here are links for my first two posts. I hope you enjoy them.

First post: Infinity plus one

Second post: The size of infinity
Ryleem is offline  
 
January 21st, 2017, 09:35 PM   #2
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 1,659
Thanks: 652

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryleem View Post
So, I've started a new blog, Infinity Plus One, discussing more advanced math topics, but aimed at a lay audience. I thought this forum looked like a place where people interested in this kind of resource (or who know those who would be) congregate. So, here are links for my first two posts. I hope you enjoy them.

First post: Infinity plus one

Second post: The size of infinity
Nice work overall. But stop referring to infinity as a number. It is not in any way shape or form a number.

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
January 21st, 2017, 09:56 PM   #3
SDK
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: USA

Posts: 223
Thanks: 121

Math Focus: Dynamical systems, analytic function theory, numerics
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
Nice work overall. But stop referring to infinity as a number. It is not in any way shape or form a number.

-Dan
I think we tell calculus students this because they aren't yet equipped with methods to handle the number infinity. However, I disagree that infinity is not a number in any way. There are multiple contexts in which infinity is a perfectly good number and a blog discussing advanced math topics is likely to cover these.
SDK is online now  
January 21st, 2017, 11:17 PM   #4
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 1,659
Thanks: 652

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
I think we tell calculus students this because they aren't yet equipped with methods to handle the number infinity. However, I disagree that infinity is not a number in any way. There are multiple contexts in which infinity is a perfectly good number and a blog discussing advanced math topics is likely to cover these.
You can label the cardinal number $\displaystyle \aleph _0$ but you can't change the fact that you can't count to it.

I did make a slight mistake, however. I forget the name of the system but it is the real numbers with infinity attached, rather like the closure of the real line. I think it's called the extended real line or something of that nature.

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
January 21st, 2017, 11:22 PM   #5
Math Team
 
Joined: Dec 2013
From: Colombia

Posts: 7,091
Thanks: 2360

Math Focus: Mainly analysis and algebra
The extended real line doesn't include a number "infinity". It's more like a set of names for limit points.
Thanks from topsquark
v8archie is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Tags
blog, infinity



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GCSE blog Lazzarus Academic Guidance 2 December 31st, 2014 05:36 PM
Maths Blog! mathsissmart Art 7 February 22nd, 2012 02:02 PM
New Math Blog DLowry New Users 3 April 2nd, 2011 11:13 AM
TRIGONOMETRY BLOG Francis410 Algebra 3 December 28th, 2010 07:31 PM
Maths Blog! mathsissmart New Users 2 December 31st, 1969 04:00 PM





Copyright © 2017 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.