My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Math General Math Forum - For general math related discussion and news


Thanks Tree3Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
July 31st, 2016, 03:53 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: United Kingdom

Posts: 5
Thanks: 1

Research participants required - Psycholinguistics research - Mathematical concepts

Hi, My name is Hamza. I'm a psychology student investigating conceptual representation and I'm looking for participants to take part in a survey study for my masters dissertation.

The aim of this study is to to investigate how we bring meaning to the words that we use to describe various mathematical concepts.

You will be required to rate a number of different words along six dimensions of perceptual experience (e.g. Seeing, Hearing, Smelling, Feeling, etc.) using your own best judgement.

In order to participate you will need to fulfil two criteria.

You must be, i) Aged 18 or above, AND, ii) A native speaker of English (English is your first language).

The survey will take 20-30 minutes to complete.

If you include your email address at the end of the survey I will enter you into a draw for a chance to win a £10 amazon giftcard/voucher.

Your participation in this study will allow me to see whether there are differences between the way that experienced mathematicians represent mathematical concepts compared to non-mathematicians.

I am happy to share these results with you upon completion of the study.

The survey can be accessed by clicking the link below

https://lancasteruni.qualtrics.com/S...uuwgttKdnYhF9b

Thank you

Hamza

p.s. if you have any questions please feel free to ask me and i will do my best to answer them
hsultan is offline  
 
July 31st, 2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Australia

Posts: 1,849
Thanks: 661

Math Focus: Yet to find out.
Interesting survey... I will be very curious to see how many people 'experience' these things other than through sight or sound...

*sniffs*... mmm i smell a hypotenuse.
Thanks from hsultan
Joppy is offline  
July 31st, 2016, 04:31 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: United Kingdom

Posts: 5
Thanks: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
Interesting survey... I will be very curious to see how many people 'experience' these things other than through sight or sound...

*sniffs*... mmm i smell a hypotenuse.
Thank you for taking the time to participate in the study. I really appreciate it. I will be sure to share the results with you upon completion.

You'd be surprised at some of the results. In a past study somebody reported tasting "philosophy" and smelling "democracy"
Thanks from Joppy
hsultan is offline  
July 31st, 2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Australia

Posts: 1,849
Thanks: 661

Math Focus: Yet to find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsultan View Post
Your participation in this study will allow me to see whether there are differences between the way that experienced mathematicians represent mathematical concepts compared to non-mathematicians.
I'm guessing this is the survey for non-mathematicians?
Joppy is offline  
July 31st, 2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: United Kingdom

Posts: 5
Thanks: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
I'm guessing this is the survey for non-mathematicians?
Do you mean the link i posted in the OP? This is the version for mathematicians. I may have naively assumed that respondents from this message board all have a mathematics background
hsultan is offline  
July 31st, 2016, 05:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Australia

Posts: 1,849
Thanks: 661

Math Focus: Yet to find out.
Research participants required - Psycholinguistics research - Mathematical concepts

Yeah.. At no point in that survey was I asked if I was a mathematician or not.

But if you're just comparing people with a mathematical background, then that should be fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks from hsultan
Joppy is offline  
July 31st, 2016, 05:33 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: United Kingdom

Posts: 5
Thanks: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
Yeah.. At no point in that survey was I asked if I was a mathematician or not.

But if you're just comparing people with a mathematical background, then that should be fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah ok, yeah, I basically have two identical versions of the survey advertised in different places. One for mathematicians and one for non-mathematicians. The survey link i posted in here and other mathematics related message boards is specifically for those with a mathematical background opposed to the other version that is for all other people.

Just out of interest, what is your mathematical background i.e. do you have a degree in mathematics or just an interest? Dependent on your answer it may be worth me flagging your response and including the data in responses from non-mathematicians prior to running the analysis. Sorry for the confusion.
hsultan is offline  
July 31st, 2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Australia

Posts: 1,849
Thanks: 661

Math Focus: Yet to find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsultan View Post
Ah ok, yeah, I basically have two identical versions of the survey advertised in different places. One for mathematicians and one for non-mathematicians. The survey link i posted in here and other mathematics related message boards is specifically for those with a mathematical background opposed to the other version that is for all other people.

Just out of interest, what is your mathematical background i.e. do you have a degree in mathematics or just an interest? Dependent on your answer it may be worth me flagging your response and including the data in responses from non-mathematicians prior to running the analysis. Sorry for the confusion.
I just have an interest in math, and in a couple of years i guess i'll officially be an 'applied mathematician'.. I will PM you my email address? Or is there another way?
Joppy is offline  
July 31st, 2016, 06:08 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: United Kingdom

Posts: 5
Thanks: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
I just have an interest in math, and in a couple of years i guess i'll officially be an 'applied mathematician'.. I will PM you my email address? Or is there another way?
Yeah PM me your email address. Although i think i may have identified your response from your geo-location. I've made a note of what i think is your unique response ID and i'll cross ref it with your email address just to be sure before i move the data across
hsultan is offline  
July 31st, 2016, 06:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Australia

Posts: 1,849
Thanks: 661

Math Focus: Yet to find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsultan View Post
Yeah PM me your email address. Although i think i may have identified your response from your geo-location. I've made a note of what i think is your unique response ID and i'll cross ref it with your email address just to be sure before i move the data across
Cool .

Also, welcome to the forum .
Joppy is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Tags
concepts, mathematical, participants, psycholinguistics, required, research



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Research Help - Probability reeswag Advanced Statistics 0 August 26th, 2013 06:55 PM
Research Question cjohnson Abstract Algebra 0 May 24th, 2012 12:32 PM
Research Areas... TTB3 Real Analysis 3 August 24th, 2009 03:30 PM





Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.