My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Math General Math Forum - For general math related discussion and news


Thanks Tree1Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
February 25th, 2016, 03:41 PM   #1
Member
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: France

Posts: 64
Thanks: 0

Prime numbers and irrational numbers

The relation between prime numbers and irrational numbers are discussed using prime line and pre-irrationality. A rational number is the quotient of 2 whole numbers i and j, coordinates of a points (j, i) in the plane of 2 dimensional natural numbers shown in Figure 1. Each points (j, i) represents a rational number whose value is i/j that equals the slope of the straight line connecting the point (j,i) to the origin (0,0).

Please read the article at

PDF Prime numbers and irrational numbers
PengKuan on Maths: Prime numbers and irrational numbers
or Word https://www.academia.edu/22457358/Pr...tional_numbers
Pengkuan is offline  
 
February 25th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #2
Math Team
 
Joined: Nov 2014
From: Australia

Posts: 672
Thanks: 239

"It is not hard to imagine a infinitely big prime $P_\infty$ to be the denominator of $\dfrac{i_P}{P_\infty}$. $P_\infty$ exists because there are infinitely many primes."

Actually, it is extremely difficult to imagine an infinitely big prime. What does that even mean?

And no, $P_\infty$ does not exist. The reason you gave is also completely inadequate.
Azzajazz is offline  
February 27th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #3
Math Team
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Alabama

Posts: 2,653
Thanks: 681

It's amazing how much a person can write on a subject he knows nothing about!

Last edited by skipjack; February 27th, 2016 at 12:59 PM.
Country Boy is online now  
February 27th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Member
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: France

Posts: 64
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzajazz View Post
"It is not hard to imagine a infinitely big prime $P_\infty$ to be the denominator of $\dfrac{i_P}{P_\infty}$. $P_\infty$ exists because there are infinitely many primes."

Actually, it is extremely difficult to imagine an infinitely big prime. What does that even mean?

And no, $P_\infty$ does not exist. The reason you gave is also completely inadequate.
What reason is completely inadequate?
Pengkuan is offline  
February 27th, 2016, 01:17 PM   #5
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Dec 2006

Posts: 17,919
Thanks: 1385

The reason "because there are infinitely many primes" is inadequate.
skipjack is offline  
February 27th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Member
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: France

Posts: 64
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
The reason "because there are infinitely many primes" is inadequate.
Is the following incorrect?
"There are infinitely many primes, as demonstrated by Euclid around 300 BC."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_number
Pengkuan is offline  
February 27th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Dec 2006

Posts: 17,919
Thanks: 1385

There are infinitely many primes, but that doesn't mean that there's any "infinitely big prime". You asserted that it's not hard to imagine such a prime, then you asserted that such a prime exists.
skipjack is offline  
February 27th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #8
Member
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: France

Posts: 64
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
There are infinitely many primes, but that doesn't mean that there's any "infinitely big prime". You asserted that it's not hard to imagine such a prime, then you asserted that such a prime exists.
I see. Cantor asserted that aleph 0 existed. So, there is a prime that is smaller than it.
Pengkuan is offline  
February 27th, 2016, 06:29 PM   #9
Math Team
 
Joined: Nov 2014
From: Australia

Posts: 672
Thanks: 239

Yes. In fact, all primes are smaller than $\aleph_0$ because they are all finite.

By the way, this is very similar to the string of posts by zylo.
Azzajazz is offline  
February 28th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #10
Member
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: France

Posts: 64
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzajazz View Post
Yes. In fact, all primes are smaller than $\aleph_0$ because they are all finite.

By the way, this is very similar to the string of posts by zylo.
In fact, infinitely big prime has the same function than infinitely many digits. When people talk about irrational numbers, they say that the number of digits is infinite. This idea is well accepted, but who has seen an infinitely big number?

Infinitely many prime numbers and infinitely many natural numbers make infinitely big prime and infinitely big natural number to exist. Infinitely big prime has the same right of existence than infinitely big number of digits.
Pengkuan is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > Math Forums > Math

Tags
irrational, numbers, prime



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
prime numbers and composite numbers shaimaa saif Algebra 10 November 17th, 2015 08:02 AM
irrational numbers Albert.Teng Algebra 4 February 12th, 2014 04:55 PM
The paradox between prime numbers and natural numbers. Eureka Number Theory 4 November 3rd, 2012 03:51 AM
Irrational numbers niki500 Number Theory 5 October 7th, 2012 09:10 PM
Irrational Numbers Mighty Mouse Jr Algebra 1 October 16th, 2010 07:46 PM





Copyright © 2017 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.