My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > High School Math Forum > Geometry

Geometry Geometry Math Forum


Thanks Tree10Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
September 29th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 544
Thanks: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devans99 View Post
If you appreciated the history you would not have made that remark.

Cantor included Actual Infinity in set theory because he believed god was infinite.
And Kronecker opposed infinity also for religious reasons.
Micrm@ss is offline  
 
September 29th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 544
Thanks: 174

And Newton came up with his classical mechanics also for very biblical reasons. You're opposed to that too?
Micrm@ss is offline  
September 29th, 2018, 12:13 PM   #73
Math Team
 
Joined: Dec 2013
From: Colombia

Posts: 7,445
Thanks: 2499

Math Focus: Mainly analysis and algebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devans99 View Post
If you appreciated the history you would not have made that remark.

Cantor included Actual Infinity in set theory because he believed god was infinite.
You don't appreciate very much about about mathematics at all. Almost all mathematicians of any note have had a strong religious belief.

Last edited by v8archie; September 29th, 2018 at 01:00 PM.
v8archie is offline  
September 29th, 2018, 12:30 PM   #74
Global Moderator
 
greg1313's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: London, Ontario, Canada - The Forest City

Posts: 7,878
Thanks: 1087

Math Focus: Elementary mathematics and beyond
Using your logic and improving the technique we have

$$\lim_{x\to0^+}\frac{C}{x}=\infty$$

so there are an infinite number of points on a circle. Now what do you say?
greg1313 is offline  
September 30th, 2018, 03:39 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2018
From: UK

Posts: 103
Thanks: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1313 View Post
Using your logic and improving the technique we have

$$\lim_{x\to0^+}\frac{C}{x}=\infty$$

so there are an infinite number of points on a circle. Now what do you say?
The whole point of a limit should be that it tends to but does not ever reach Actual Infinity because that is undefined mathematically. If you evaluate your limit with x=0 it’s undefined because it’s a divide by zero error...
Devans99 is offline  
September 30th, 2018, 03:45 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 544
Thanks: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devans99 View Post
The whole point of a limit should be that it tends to but does not ever reach Actual Infinity because that is undefined mathematically. If you evaluate your limit with x=0 it’s undefined because it’s a divide by zero error...
Oh my god, dude, learn what a limit is before you comment nonsense.
Micrm@ss is offline  
September 30th, 2018, 03:47 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: United Kingdom

Posts: 264
Thanks: 79

Math Focus: Algebraic Number Theory, Arithmetic Geometry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devans99 View Post
The whole point of a limit should be that it tends to but does not ever reach Actual Infinity because that is undefined mathematically. If you evaluate your limit with x=0 it’s undefined because it’s a divide by zero error...
The issue, again, is that you have no idea what limits are. It's not hard to look up a definition - if the definition seems confusing, we'll be more than happy to explain and help you understand.
Thanks from greg1313
cjem is offline  
September 30th, 2018, 09:57 AM   #78
Global Moderator
 
greg1313's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: London, Ontario, Canada - The Forest City

Posts: 7,878
Thanks: 1087

Math Focus: Elementary mathematics and beyond
Nothing can ever reach "Actual infinity" - that's what makes infinity what it is. With the expression C/x, we can make its value as large as we like by making x sufficiently small. The result is without bound. In notation, this is $\infty$.
greg1313 is offline  
October 2nd, 2018, 08:48 AM   #79
Newbie
 
Joined: Oct 2018
From: Netherlands

Posts: 5
Thanks: 2

If a point had "length" then it would have to be measured from A to B. If that length is >0 then A and B are different and therefore 2 points, not just 1. Whatever the consequence, you have to accept that a single point has 0 length. It is quite similar to accepting that 0 is an existing number even though it is not an existing quantity. The Roman empire never came to that understanding, so you are in good company
Thanks from studiot
Arisktotle is offline  
October 2nd, 2018, 10:56 AM   #80
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: England

Posts: 884
Thanks: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisktotle View Post
If a point had "length" then it would have to be measured from A to B. If that length is >0 then A and B are different and therefore 2 points, not just 1. Whatever the consequence, you have to accept that a single point has 0 length. It is quite similar to accepting that 0 is an existing number even though it is not an existing quantity. The Roman empire never came to that understanding, so you are in good company
Yeah simply put but well put.
studiot is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > High School Math Forum > Geometry

Tags
‘point’, contradictory, definition, geometry



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two 3-D Trigo Geometry Problems without using vector or coordinate geometry whsvin Geometry 0 February 1st, 2017 07:07 AM
Contradictory Derivative vamosromil Calculus 9 October 18th, 2012 11:25 AM
Seemingly contradictory Dart Plegius Algebra 2 June 19th, 2012 12:24 PM
Fun contradictory(?) problem Aqil Applied Math 6 November 25th, 2011 09:21 PM
Algebraic Geometry Definition Question xianghu324 Abstract Algebra 1 August 8th, 2010 08:37 AM





Copyright © 2018 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.