My Math Forum

Elementary Math Fractions, Percentages, Word Problems, Equations, Inequations, Factorization, Expansion

May 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Senior Member

Chikis's Avatar

Joined: Jan 2012

Thanks: 7

Find how much of each of tea he bought.

A shopkeeper bought tea at N2.40 per kg; and mixed it with twice as much tea at N2 per kg. He sold the mixure at N2.60 per kg and gained N5.60 on the transaction. Find how much of each of tea he bought.

A shopkeeper bought tea at N2.40 per kg; and mixed it with twice as much tea at N2 per kg.

Let the mass of the tea he bought at first be given as m.
When he mixed it twice as much tea, he had 2m.
> m + 2m = 2.40 + 4.8
> 3m = 7.2

He sold the mixure at N2.60 per kg and gained N5.60.

3m = 7.8 + 5.60
> 3m = 13.4

I know I have made an error already. But how can I express the problem, so that it will be more easier to solve?
Chikis is offline

May 8th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Math Team

Joined: Dec 2006
From: Lexington, MA

Thanks: 407

Re: Find how much of each of tea he bought.

Hello, Chikis!

Quote:
A shopkeeper bought Brand A tea at $2.40/kg and mixed it with twice as much Brand B tea at $2.00/kg.
He sold the mixure at $2.60/kg and gained $5.60 on the transaction.
Find how much of each brand of tea he bought.

He bought kg of Brand A at $2.40.kg.
[color=beige]. . [/color]This cost him dollars.

He bought kg of Brand B at $2.00/kg.
[color=beige]. . [/color]This cost him dollars.

His total cost was: dollars.

He sold the kg of tea at $2.60/kg.
[color=beige]. . [/color]His revenue was: dollars.

His profit was: dollars.
[color=beige]. . [/color]We are told that his profit was $5.60.

There is our equation! . . .

Can you finish it?

soroban is offline
May 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Senior Member

Chikis's Avatar

Joined: Jan 2012

Thanks: 7

Re: Find how much of each of tea he bought.

@soroban,
Yes, I can finish it now. Thank you.
Chikis is offline

  My Math Forum > High School Math Forum > Elementary Math

Tags
bought, find, tea