My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > High School Math Forum > Elementary Math

Elementary Math Fractions, Percentages, Word Problems, Equations, Inequations, Factorization, Expansion


Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By jonah
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 12th, 2018, 12:35 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: India

Posts: 310
Thanks: 1

How can we remove T or S and replace....

P, Q, R, S and T sit around a table. P sits two seats to the left of R and Q sits two seats to the right of R.

If a new person U joins the group such that the initial conditions for the seating arrangement should be observed and also a new condition that U does not sit next to P, S or T be satisfied, then who will be the neighbours of P (one of the either side)?

1) S and T

2) S and Q

3) T and R

4) R and Q

5) U and T

Solution: We create a new slot for the sixth person But since U will not sit next to P,S,T he will have to sit between R and Q. The arrangement will then look as follows:



As we can see from the diagram the neighbors of P will be T and S. Choice is (1).

My doubt: How can we remove T or S and replace with U if we clearly violating the rule: "P sits two seats to the left of R and Q sits two seats to the right of R"?
Ganesh Ujwal is offline  
 
May 12th, 2018, 02:37 AM   #2
Math Team
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Alabama

Posts: 3,261
Thanks: 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganesh Ujwal View Post
My doubt: How can we remove T or S and replace with U if we clearly violating the rule: "P sits two seats to the left of R and Q sits two seats to the right of R"?
Those are NOT 'rules' that need to be followed. They are just statements about the initial situation.
Country Boy is offline  
May 12th, 2018, 05:10 AM   #3
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Dec 2006

Posts: 19,521
Thanks: 1747

Below is an alternative arrangement, where the correct choice is (3) instead.
Seated.PNG
skipjack is offline  
May 12th, 2018, 05:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2008

Posts: 290
Thanks: 76

Beer soaked ramblings follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganesh Ujwal View Post
P, Q, R, S and T sit around a table. P sits two seats to the left of R and Q sits two seats to the right of R.

If a new person U joins the group such that the initial conditions for the seating arrangement should be observed and also a new condition that U does not sit next to P, S or T be satisfied, then who will be the neighbours of P (one of the either side)?

1) S and T

2) S and Q

3) T and R

4) R and Q

5) U and T

Solution: We create a new slot for the sixth person But since U will not sit next to P,S,T he will have to sit between R and Q. The arrangement will then look as follows:



As we can see from the diagram the neighbors of P will be T and S. Choice is (1).

My doubt: How can we remove T or S and replace with U if we clearly violating the rule: "P sits two seats to the left of R and Q sits two seats to the right of R"?
Solved. Thank you for that thought-provoking, intellectually invigorating mental exercise.
Thanks from Denis
jonah is offline  
May 12th, 2018, 06:42 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2016
From: USA

Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
Below is an alternative arrangement, where the correct choice is (3) instead.
Attachment 9707
Skip

In your arrangement, Q is three to the left of P.

The relative placements of Q and R are fixed at - 2 and + 2. That leaves three choices for positions - 1 and + 1, namely S, T, and U, but U is not permitted in either of those position. The only freedom is the placement of S to right or left of P. Once that is done, all is determined.
JeffM1 is offline  
May 12th, 2018, 08:27 AM   #6
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Dec 2006

Posts: 19,521
Thanks: 1747

You seem to have misread something. The requirement is that P sits two seats to the left of R and Q sits two seats to the right of R, both of which are true in the arrangement I gave.

It's reasonable to assume that the people seated at the table are all facing the table, so that "to the left of" means "clockwise from" "and "to the right of" means "anticlockwise from" in relation to the diagram.
skipjack is offline  
May 12th, 2018, 08:39 AM   #7
Math Team
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Ottawa Ontario, Canada

Posts: 13,119
Thanks: 913

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonah View Post
Beer soaked ramblings follow.
Thank you for that thought-provoking, intellectually invigorating mental exercise.
Coffee soaked ramblings follow.
Sir Jonah, agree with you that it is a thought-provoking, intellectually invigorating mental exercise.
Had me losing sleep...however, I suddenly was touched by the
"Round Table Angel" and clearly saw the ultimate solution:
now that we have 6 (after arrival of Mr. U) partakers, get the waiter
to rearrange the damn circular arrangement to an evenly spaced
6 "ass spots", and 99.9% of the problems are eliminated...
Denis is offline  
May 12th, 2018, 08:43 AM   #8
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Dec 2006

Posts: 19,521
Thanks: 1747

My arrangement also satisfies the condition that U does not sit next to P, S or T.
skipjack is offline  
May 12th, 2018, 10:59 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2016
From: USA

Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
My arrangement also satisfies the condition that U does not sit next to P, S or T.
yes I misread
JeffM1 is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > High School Math Forum > Elementary Math

Tags
remove, replace



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MS Word grayed out "Replace All" is nonfunctional Loren Computer Science 5 December 24th, 2017 04:33 PM
replace indicator functions with convex conjugates? Azalea Applied Math 0 February 27th, 2014 04:56 AM
When do you replace x when finding f'(a) using the def? Singularity Calculus 3 October 25th, 2013 01:28 PM
*solved it please remove 1101 Algebra 1 June 3rd, 2011 02:21 AM





Copyright © 2018 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.