My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > High School Math Forum > Elementary Math

Elementary Math Fractions, Percentages, Word Problems, Equations, Inequations, Factorization, Expansion


Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 2 Post By skeeter
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
February 24th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #1
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2016
From: Uk

Posts: 80
Thanks: 2

Converting Degrees minutes to decimal

Hi,

When converting from Degree minutes etc to decimal and visa versa, I need to borrow but don't know how to do it.

(I've realised that I don't know how to ask the question so here's an example)

50.5Deg so (.5) /.6 +the 50= 50.8 (Now the other way) 50.8 .8x.6 + the 50= 50.6

Now if I used a larger number after the '.'

50.7Deg (.7)/.6 = 1.1666 +the 50 = 51.1666

What I want is get the 1 from the 51 so that 1.1666x.6 = 0.7 then + 50 = 50.7

Camerart.

Last edited by camerart; February 24th, 2016 at 01:07 AM.
camerart is offline  
 
February 24th, 2016, 03:19 AM   #2
Math Team
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Texas

Posts: 2,771
Thanks: 1426

Converting decimal degrees to degrees and minutes ...

$50.5^\circ = 50^\circ + 0.5(60') = 50^\circ \, 30'$

$50.7^\circ = 50^\circ + 0.7(60') = 50^\circ \, 42'$

... note $0.1^\circ = 6'$

Converting degrees and minutes to a decimal ...

$49^\circ \, 48' = 48^\circ + \left(\dfrac{48}{60}\right)^\circ = 48.8^\circ$

Check out the video for a more complete explanation ...

Thanks from Country Boy and Joppy
skeeter is offline  
March 11th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Philippines

Posts: 1
Thanks: 0

The calculation equation is simply: Decimal degrees = whole number of degrees, plus minutes divided by 60, plus seconds divided by 3600
Cherry Teodoso is offline  
March 18th, 2016, 02:56 AM   #4
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2016
From: Uk

Posts: 80
Thanks: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
Converting decimal degrees to degrees and minutes ...

$50.5^\circ = 50^\circ + 0.5(60') = 50^\circ \, 30'$

$50.7^\circ = 50^\circ + 0.7(60') = 50^\circ \, 42'$

... note $0.1^\circ = 6'$

Converting degrees and minutes to a decimal ...

$49^\circ \, 48' = 48^\circ + \left(\dfrac{48}{60}\right)^\circ = 48.8^\circ$

Check out the video for a more complete explanation ...

Hi S,

Just seen your post, Thanks.

C.
camerart is offline  
March 21st, 2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Math Team
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Alabama

Posts: 3,261
Thanks: 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerart View Post
Hi,

When converting from Degree minutes etc to decimal and visa versa, I need to borrow but don't know how to do it.

(I've realised that I don't know how to ask the question so here's an example)

50.5Deg so (.5) /.6 +the 50= 50.8 (Now the other way) 50.8 .8x.6 + the 50= 50.6
The way you have written this is very confusing! Apparently you are using "50.5Deg" to mean "50 degrees and 5 minutes". There are 60 minutes in a degree. 5 minutes is 5/60= 1/12= .08333... of a degree. 50 degrees and 5 minutes is 50.08333.. degrees not 50.8 degrees even after rounding.

Quote:
Now if I used a larger number after the '.'

50.7Deg (.7)/.6 = 1.1666 +the 50 = 51.1666

What I want is get the 1 from the 51 so that 1.1666x.6 = 0.7 then + 50 = 50.7

Camerart.
Again, does "50.7 Deg" mean 50 degrees and 7 minutes or 50 and 7/10 degree? If it is 50 degrees and 7 minutes, then since there are 60 minutes in a degree, 7 minutes is 7/60= 0.11666... so 50 degrees and 7 minutes is 50.11666... degrees. If you mean 50 and 7/10 degrees then .7(60)= 42 degrees and 60 and 7/10 degrees is 50 degrees and 42 minutes.
Country Boy is offline  
March 22nd, 2016, 02:12 AM   #6
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2016
From: Uk

Posts: 80
Thanks: 2

Hi,

I still get mixed up between: Degrees, Mins decimal mins and Degrees, mins and seconds and Degrees and decimal mins seconds.

Here is an NMEA sentence: $GPGGA,FIELD.00,1234.50000,N,xxxxx.xxxx,W,1,08,0.9 ,000.0,M,46.9,M,,*47
The digits before the N are Latitude, and = 12Deg 34Mins .50000 So Degrees, Mins and decimal mins.

This would convert to Degrees, Mins and seconds, So 12Deg, 34Mins and 30 seconds.

And for even more complication Degrees, and decimal Mins, seconds.

I sometimes need to convert between all three of these, but I can appreciate that converting to NMEA sentences is a lot of work, so keep it simple for your own amusement

C.
camerart is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > High School Math Forum > Elementary Math

Tags
converting, decimal, degrees, minutes



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trig: Converting negative decimal degrees to deg/min'sec" doomgaze3 Trigonometry 5 April 16th, 2015 01:26 PM
find the angles (in degrees) in the triangle ABC correct to 2 decimal places budski52 Trigonometry 7 February 23rd, 2015 12:16 PM
Converting radians to degrees hemidol Algebra 1 April 8th, 2012 07:19 PM
Convert Radian to degrees, minutes, and seconds Mighty Mouse Jr Algebra 1 April 27th, 2010 06:28 PM
Converting Vice Versa from Radian to Degrees David_Lete Algebra 3 April 26th, 2009 03:32 PM





Copyright © 2018 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.