My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Science Forums > Economics

Economics Economics Forum - Financial Mathematics, Econometrics, Operations Research, Mathematical Finance, Computational Finance


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
August 19th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Joined: Aug 2011

Posts: 12
Thanks: 0

Interest and Depreciation 2

A company buys a computer for $125,000 and houses it in a specially constructed suite at a cost of $20,000.

1) If the computer depreciates at 30%(reducing Balance) and the suite appreciates at 6%(compound), What is the book value of suite and computer after 5 years?

2) Taking computer and suite together using the reducing balance method, what is the overall depreciation rate?


Thank you!
lizartt is offline  
 
August 19th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: USA

Posts: 782
Thanks: 1

Re: Interest and Depreciation 2

I don't know what method you're supposed to be using to solve this. For the suite, you can use the typical future value equation:



Where the PV will be the cost of the suite (present value = its cost today), i is the compounding rate and n is the periods. Hence:



If you aren't learning that, you can also just literally add on 6% each year and see how it comes out. And you can do the same with the depreciation: reduce it by 30% each year. (Which for accounting is what we'd do cause we'd want to know the amounts for each individual year. But I don't know what subject this is for.) You can also use something similar to the above if you want to get straight to the book value for the computer. If you reduce it by 30% each year, then its remaining value will be 70% of the prior value. So if you use 70%, you can do something similar to the above:



As for the second part, I'm not sure what they're getting at with "overall depreciation rate." Are they meaning like a "yield" in essense? That is, once you get the combined book value for both, what rate of deprecation, when used on 145,000, would land you at that book value?
Erimess is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > Science Forums > Economics

Tags
depreciation, interest



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simple Interest: How to find the actual interest rate? grace25 Elementary Math 12 January 24th, 2013 08:46 PM
Interest and depreciation lizartt Academic Guidance 1 August 21st, 2011 01:52 PM
Interest and Depreciation lizartt Economics 1 August 17th, 2011 05:13 AM
Calculate interest rate based on interest in parcels douglasrac Economics 0 February 17th, 2011 09:14 AM
Depreciation interest (compounded) help! davelarue Algebra 0 February 15th, 2010 11:51 PM





Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.