My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Applied Math

Applied Math Applied Math Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
October 10th, 2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Joined: Oct 2017
From: St. Louis

Posts: 2
Thanks: 0

Calculate monthly goals towards an all-up target

My business has an all-up target for this year's subscription revenue (e.g. $100,000). We came out of last year with revenue (e.g. $50,000) that we expect to maintain, but there's no guarantee that we will. Subscription revenue comes in monthly so I need to be able to measure our year-to-date progress towards monthly goals.

Monthly goals will grow linearly since a month's goals will include the previous month plus growth. All of the monthly goals should sum up to the year's revenue target.

I'm hoping there is a means by which I can calculate the monthly goals. Thoughts?

Last edited by jfattic; October 10th, 2017 at 10:14 AM.
jfattic is offline  
 
October 10th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Math Team
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Ottawa Ontario, Canada

Posts: 10,667
Thanks: 697

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfattic View Post
My business has an all-up target for this year's subscription revenue (e.g. $100,000). We came out of last year with revenue (e.g. $50,000) that we expect to maintain, but there's no guarantee that we will....
Where does the 100,000 come in...when you expect 50,000 ?
What d'heck is an "all-up target"?
Your post is almost impossible to "follow".
Can you clarify what you're after, using an actual example; thank you.

Last edited by Denis; October 10th, 2017 at 06:05 PM.
Denis is offline  
October 11th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2014
From: Glasgow

Posts: 2,068
Thanks: 692

Math Focus: Physics, mathematical modelling, numerical and computational solutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Where does the 100,000 come in...when you expect 50,000 ?
What d'heck is an "all-up target"?
Your post is almost impossible to "follow".
Can you clarify what you're after, using an actual example; thank you.
I guess he has revenue coming in every month and the revenue will eventually lead up to a total. The idea is to create a variable that, month by month, changes depending on the month's revenue which gives the likelihood of hitting or exceeding some target value at the end of the year.
Benit13 is offline  
October 11th, 2017, 04:31 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Joined: Oct 2017
From: St. Louis

Posts: 2
Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benit13 View Post
I guess he has revenue coming in every month and the revenue will eventually lead up to a total. The idea is to create a variable that, month by month, changes depending on the month's revenue which gives the likelihood of hitting or exceeding some target value at the end of the year.
That's correct, Benit. This is relatively common for companies that sell subscription sales.

100,000 = SUM of all 12 monthly goals
50,000 = last year's revenue; alternatively, I also have the final month revenue from last year (let's say it's 20,000 for this example)

Example:
Month 01 target = 20,000 + new1
Month 02 target = 20,000 + new1 + new2
Month 03 target = 20,000 + new1 + new2 + new3
etc. up to Month 12

I was thinking that I could use y=mx+b, where b=20,000 (slope-intercept), but since I only have the annual target, I'm not sure how to proceed.
jfattic is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Applied Math

Tags
allup, calculate, goals, monthly, target



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Probability of goals in a football match? mattadams84 Probability and Statistics 0 August 23rd, 2015 07:40 AM
how to convert goals to Asian handicap? extjsjquery Algebra 1 December 19th, 2013 12:03 PM
Choices, Goals and Learning Lupeto Applied Math 0 November 6th, 2010 02:48 AM





Copyright © 2017 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.