My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Math Forums > Academic Guidance

Academic Guidance Academic Guidance - Academic guidance for those pursuing a college degree... what college? Grad school? PhD help?


Thanks Tree5Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 20th, 2019, 02:09 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Joined: Feb 2019
From: Israel

Posts: 20
Thanks: 2

Math Focus: general topology
Question Is it possible to get a $2400 grant without degree?

Is it possible to get a $2400 grant for publication of my revolutionary math research book without me having a degree?

If yes, where can I ask for the grant? Please give as many grantors as you know.

Should I ask as an individual or as a nonprofit? (Yes, I have a 501(c)3 nonprofit registered in USA.)
porton is offline  
 
May 20th, 2019, 03:59 AM   #2
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 2,194
Thanks: 897

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porton View Post
Is it possible to get a $2400 grant for publication of my revolutionary math research book without me having a degree?

Should I ask as an individual or as a nonprofit? (Yes, I have a 501(c)3 nonprofit registered in USA.)
Yes, but bear in mind they typically assume you know more if you have the degrees (a generally valid assumption.) But it also depends heavily on the topic of research. If you are trying to modify Topology instead of adding to it they are going to subject you to some strenuous questioning before you get any kind of funding.

I have no idea how to approach this from a nonprofit organization standpoint.

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
May 20th, 2019, 04:00 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2009

Posts: 796
Thanks: 295

Possible? Yes.
Likely? No. Certainly if the document you wish to publish is the one on your website. It's probably correct mathematically, but not readable or publishable at this point.
Thanks from topsquark
Micrm@ss is offline  
May 20th, 2019, 04:35 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Australia

Posts: 1,821
Thanks: 643

Math Focus: Yet to find out.
I think this is the same guy that charges $50 per IT problem
Thanks from topsquark
Joppy is offline  
May 20th, 2019, 06:12 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Joined: Feb 2019
From: Israel

Posts: 20
Thanks: 2

Math Focus: general topology
Cool I don't "modify"

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
Yes, but bear in mind they typically assume you know more if you have the degrees (a generally valid assumption.) But it also depends heavily on the topic of research. If you are trying to modify Topology instead of adding to it they are going to subject you to some strenuous questioning before you get any kind of funding.

-Dan
I realize that professors know more information than me. But this does not make my work worse than works by professors.

It seems from your quote, that you suspect that I am trying to prove to be false known theorems. Certainly I don't do.

I add to General Topology. However my work is so novel, that it may be reasonably classified as something different than General Topology. In short, it is to General Topology somehow like as complex number theory is to real number theory (however, unlike complex numbers consisting from two real numbers, my "funcoids" do not consist of several topological spaces (at least in an obvious way)). It is a new theory thus.
porton is offline  
May 20th, 2019, 07:39 AM   #6
Math Team
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: The Astral plane

Posts: 2,194
Thanks: 897

Math Focus: Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porton View Post
I realize that professors know more information than me. But this does not make my work worse than works by professors.

It seems from your quote, that you suspect that I am trying to prove to be false known theorems. Certainly I don't do.

I add to General Topology. However my work is so novel, that it may be reasonably classified as something different than General Topology. In short, it is to General Topology somehow like as complex number theory is to real number theory (however, unlike complex numbers consisting from two real numbers, my "funcoids" do not consist of several topological spaces (at least in an obvious way)). It is a new theory thus.
I am passing no judgements. I am mererly trying to prepare you for what they would likely be thinking.

Beyond some of the basics Topology is not a language I speak so I'll leave that to more knowledgable minds than mine to consider.

-Dan
topsquark is offline  
May 20th, 2019, 11:04 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
ProofOfALifetime's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Arizona

Posts: 207
Thanks: 37

Math Focus: I'm still deciding, but my recent focus has been olympiad problems and math journal problems.
I don't get this. Why don't you submit to math journals? This is what mathematicians do. They submit their research to journals. How do you know it is correct if you don't have a degree? What I mean is, even if you study on your own (which is what I do) you still need a group of mathematicians to verify your work. I'm kind of confused. What do you mean by research book?

Last edited by ProofOfALifetime; May 20th, 2019 at 11:32 AM.
ProofOfALifetime is offline  
May 20th, 2019, 12:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
ProofOfALifetime's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Arizona

Posts: 207
Thanks: 37

Math Focus: I'm still deciding, but my recent focus has been olympiad problems and math journal problems.
Whoops I looked at the website so I get it.
ProofOfALifetime is offline  
May 20th, 2019, 03:29 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Joined: Feb 2019
From: Israel

Posts: 20
Thanks: 2

Math Focus: general topology
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProofOfALifetime View Post
I don't get this. Why don't you submit to math journals? This is what mathematicians do. They submit their research to journals. How do you know it is correct if you don't have a degree? What I mean is, even if you study on your own (which is what I do) you still need a group of mathematicians to verify your work. I'm kind of confused. What do you mean by research book?
Two reasons:

1. I don't want to split my already prepared book into parts. It would only make it worse.

2. (My first article was published) and I already submitted my article to a few journals, but in some unknown reasons, I got a bunch of rejections.

So I want to submit for scientific high quality publication in Scopus the entire book, not its parts. They have already reviewed my book and warrant publication if I pay $2400. In fact this is a paid journal to publish a VERY long article.
Thanks from ProofOfALifetime
porton is offline  
May 20th, 2019, 03:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012

Posts: 2,321
Thanks: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by porton View Post
Two reasons:

1. I don't want to split my already prepared book into parts. It would only make it worse.

2. (My first article was published) and I already submitted my article to a few journals, but in some unknown reasons, I got a bunch of rejections.

So I want to submit for scientific high quality publication in Scopus the entire book, not its parts. They have already reviewed my book and warrant publication if I pay $2400. In fact this is a paid journal to publish a VERY long article.
When unknown calculus lecturer Yitang Zhang sent in his proof of bounded primes, he became a household name overnight in the math community.

One thing he did was write very very clearly and spell out every detail. He knew that as an unknown he wanted his argument to be unassailable. It's a heck of a great story. In the math world if you have a new idea, people will acknowledge you no matter who you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yitang_Zhang

How Yitang “Tom” Zhang Proved a Theorem That Had Stumped Mathematicians for a Century
Thanks from ProofOfALifetime

Last edited by Maschke; May 20th, 2019 at 03:48 PM.
Maschke is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > Math Forums > Academic Guidance

Tags
$2400, degree, grant, publication



Thread Tools
Display Modes






Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.