My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Math Forums > Academic Guidance

Academic Guidance Academic Guidance - Academic guidance for those pursuing a college degree... what college? Grad school? PhD help?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
March 5th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Joined: Mar 2012

Posts: 21
Thanks: 0

Maths consider to be most difficult or boring subject why??

In my opinion people think that mathematics is the most difficult subject!! I have made an research about that what is the reason behind their thinking and I found that their basics are not so good as most of the people thinks only about how to solve the problem and don't try to understand the logic behind it and most of the teachers also don't take much interest in explaining the students in simpler and different way and that's why the student feel bored in understanding it .I would love to hear suggestions from you also.
suresh123 is offline  
 
March 9th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: USA

Posts: 782
Thanks: 1

Re: Maths consider to be most difficult or boring subject wh

While a lot of people find math to be difficult, I don't know that everyone finds it boring. Many people I've talked to said they would like it if they understood it better.

But I'd agreed with your reasoning. People don't learn the underlying meaning behind things and teachers don't teach it. They used to. I actually learned what the stuff meant, and then we had examples of ways to apply it. Now what I mostly see is people learning AN application, but never learning the underlying math concept behind it. So when they get to a different application with the same concept, they don't recognize it and have to be told all over again how to do it. (And continue to have to learn it as they apply it to 100 different things, so they learn 100 different formulas for that same thing.)

Just as a simple example, I was reading something a bit ago in my statistics book, and they were essentially doing a pro-ration. I just looked at the chart they had, went oh I see, these numbers are this proportion of this total, so they applied these same proportions to these other numbers. It was only barely a conscious thought. Then the book proceeded to spend a page and a half explaining how to do that math, and then turned it into some backwards weird "formula" that didn't even make any sense, when the thing was just a pure logical proportion. I kind of figure anyone who was taking statistics should be able to do what is essentially jr high level (or less) math and not have it explained to them. And the "formula" (while it would get you to the right answer) just had no meaning. If I had looked at that formula first I would have been lost cause it made no earthly sense. So people memorize this silly equation that makes no sense, and then STILL don't have any idea how to do a simple proportion.
Erimess is offline  
March 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: Maths consider to be most difficult or boring subject wh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimess
People don't learn the underlying meaning behind things and teachers don't teach it. They used to.
I've seen college graduation requirements for math programs from the 50s. They went from elementary calculus (sometimes pre-calculus) to linear algebra and differential equations -- essentially, junior/senior year in high school through sophomore year in college today. Both high school and college math programs covered less ground, and they went into much more depth. So there may be truth to what you say.
CRGreathouse is offline  
March 12th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: A deep,dark hole in the ground

Posts: 16
Thanks: 0

Re: Maths consider to be most difficult or boring subject wh

Real mathematical aptitude is a rare trait, since the human brain operates on fuzzy logic rather than the discrete logic that mathematics is founded on. Obviously, if someone isn't good enough at math to understand it very well, there's not much point in being interested in it. That and the fact that primary and secondary schools don't make much of an effort to get kids interested in mathematics or explain why it's relevant beyond "You'll need it for your job someday." Using sports analogies doesn't help either. Popular mathematics books like The Magic of Mathematics are a better approach, as they will get kids to appreciate math for its own sake.
LordofthePenguins is offline  
March 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2011

Posts: 298
Thanks: 0

Re: Maths consider to be most difficult or boring subject wh

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh123
In my opinion people think that mathematics is the most difficult subject!!
Of course! --You said, "opinion."
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh123
why the student feel bored in understanding it .
Of course! They are game and TV addicts. Don't get me wrong, I am not name calling here. This is written from my personal experience.

I am friendly since I was very little because my parents are very friendly people. We can strike up conversation with a total stranger without difficulty. In grade 9, my first time being away from home and away from my school friends, I spend a weekend at an air force base with kids my age. None of them liked me. They told me that I was boring because I talked about science, history, and stories from books. I was ignored while they turned to talking about favorite TV shows, TV commercials, and computer games. I had to find someone else to spend my evening with.

I saw an older man in uniform sitting quietly alone and walked to him. I said, "Good evening, sir," while giving him a salute and begin telling him about about myself. He started asking one question after another, and before long we had over a two-hour conversation. When it was time to hit the cot, he told me that he was Colonel ..." When the stay was over I was given things that other kids did not get: books about time management, a kit for building a toy rocket, and he flew me back home in his Cessna with his son (he was in grade 12). I returned home not making a friend with anyone my age that weekend.

I found most kids out side my school too flat.
What do you consider boring?
Math Dreamer is offline  
March 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2011

Posts: 298
Thanks: 0

Re: Maths consider to be most difficult or boring subject wh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimess
People don't learn the underlying meaning behind things and teachers don't teach it. They used to.
I've seen college graduation requirements for math programs from the 50s. They went from elementary calculus (sometimes pre-calculus) to linear algebra and differential equations -- essentially, junior/senior year in high school through sophomore year in college today. Both high school and college math programs covered less ground, and they went into much more depth. So there may be truth to what you say.
Well, that's what my grandfather said, and that's what my mom and dad repeat.

Well, yes and no, I must say.

My father was often stationed abroad, and I had to attend embassy schools. In many countries, math is still substantial. At age 14, since we returned, I have been taking my math classes at the local junior college because I refused to learn what I had already learned. I had my way: my parents fought with my school and came out with bruises before I could take my high-school classes in a college.
Math Dreamer is offline  
March 14th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: Maths consider to be most difficult or boring subject wh

I don't have a position on which is preferable, by the way. For myself I like the modern approach -- more narrow learning faster. But overall it's not obvious which is 'better' (for what?).
CRGreathouse is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > Math Forums > Academic Guidance

Tags
boring, difficult, maths, subject



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
United learning is hiring a Subject Advisor Maths!Region: Joberate Academic Guidance 0 December 23rd, 2013 04:13 AM
Difficult Maths Problem darandoma Algebra 3 January 28th, 2012 07:28 AM
Why is Math So Boring, And Why is Algebra So Tough? Fire7 Algebra 13 April 24th, 2011 01:00 PM
Basic book for subject area of Maths & Geometry. Dal123 Math Books 5 February 7th, 2010 09:07 AM
Maths consider to be most difficult or boring subject why?? suresh123 Applied Math 0 December 31st, 1969 04:00 PM





Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.