My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > Math Forums > Academic Guidance

Academic Guidance Academic Guidance - Academic guidance for those pursuing a college degree... what college? Grad school? PhD help?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2011

Posts: 298
Thanks: 0

Re: How to learn math

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathbalarka
have to see beyond what you see
What non-sense.
Math Dreamer is offline  
 
May 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM   #12
Math Team
 
mathbalarka's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: India, West Bengal

Posts: 3,871
Thanks: 86

Math Focus: Number Theory
Re: How to learn math

Utter nonsense right?
I dont know about others, but for me, this phrase is really essential.
mathbalarka is offline  
May 4th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: USA

Posts: 782
Thanks: 1

Re: How to learn math

Whether that's nonsense or not I think depends on what it's supposed to mean.

If it means "seeing" (which might mean visualizing in your head or just having a gut feeling about it) beyond what you see written down, I would totally agree, and I would find that key as well. If it means some philosophical abstract something or other, then I would just say that wouldn't count for the average person even if they like math.
Erimess is offline  
May 4th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Math Team
 
mathbalarka's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: India, West Bengal

Posts: 3,871
Thanks: 86

Math Focus: Number Theory
Re: How to learn math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimess
Whether that's nonsense or not I think depends on what it's supposed to mean.

If it means "seeing" (which might mean visualizing in your head or just having a gut feeling about it) beyond what you see written down,
Yes, thats what i meant
mathbalarka is offline  
May 5th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2011

Posts: 298
Thanks: 0

Re: How to learn math

I am simple. I don't like pretension. My math learning has always been based on understanding the basics. If one does not know the basics, seeing beyond is just for snobs.

Seeing beyond is only for appropriate for professional researchers who has complete tools at hand.
Math Dreamer is offline  
May 5th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2011

Posts: 298
Thanks: 0

Re: How to learn math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimess
Whether that's nonsense or not I think depends on what it's supposed to mean.
That how our politicians speak.

Seeing beyond is like the guy who wrote over 350 pages to prove 1+1=2. Yah, it's a technical show off only for those who care. Someone has a lot of time to waste to be so flamboyant.
Math Dreamer is offline  
May 5th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: How to learn math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Dreamer
Seeing beyond is like the guy who wrote over 350 pages to prove 1+1=2. Yah, it's a technical show off only for those who care.
...

Principia Mathematica was not just a "technical show off". It was an attempt to put mathematics on a firm foundation -- and its failure to do so underscored the importance of the goal! The problems were patched not long afterward, and the fundamental issues were discovered by Goedel and others over the next two decades.
CRGreathouse is offline  
May 5th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2011

Posts: 298
Thanks: 0

Re: How to learn math

With all due respect, sir, I strongly doubt anyone who visits this forum will ever put mathematics in a firmer foundation.
Math Dreamer is offline  
May 5th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Global Moderator
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: UTC -5

Posts: 16,046
Thanks: 938

Math Focus: Number theory, computational mathematics, combinatorics, FOM, symbolic logic, TCS, algorithms
Re: How to learn math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Dreamer
With all due respect, sir, I strongly doubt anyone who visits this forum will ever put mathematics in a firmer foundation.
I can make that false just by sending Norm Megill a link to mymathforum.com .
CRGreathouse is offline  
May 5th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2011

Posts: 298
Thanks: 0

Re: How to learn math

That's making it false after the effect.

I must thank you for enlightening me to Goedel who wrote over 350 pages of gobbledegook, in which you also have explained to me that all the time he used for writing was not a waste but to put mathematics on a firm footing. This point of your argument is undeniable true, but it further scores my point to the fact that such "seeing beyond" is only appropriate for professional researchers viz-a-viz scholars as Goedel.

As to suggesting ordinary visitors of this forum to see beyond, it is totally snobbish. Since as I have observed, most students who dropped questions here, don't seem to have the ability of understanding what they see in front of them; to expect them to see beyond is rather ridiculous.

I think you in fact are Mr. Norm Megil. I am not convienced that this Megil actual is firming the foundation because I have not heard the eulogy yet.
Math Dreamer is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > Math Forums > Academic Guidance

Tags
learn, math



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In what order should I learn math?(Math is daunting) E01 Academic Guidance 7 February 9th, 2014 08:25 AM
I can't learn math. Fool Academic Guidance 9 June 2nd, 2012 09:07 PM
Learn Math for Fun sakes Academic Guidance 5 April 16th, 2011 12:52 PM
Hello I new and want to learn about math. digdagdeg New Users 5 June 24th, 2010 06:54 AM
Am I too old to learn math? too_old New Users 2 December 1st, 2008 05:48 PM





Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.