My Math Forum  

Go Back   My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Abstract Algebra

Abstract Algebra Abstract Algebra Math Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
January 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2011

Posts: 100
Thanks: 0

Proof-read / give comments on algebra solutions?

Hello all-- I've been writing up some solutions for problems in algebra and analysis I've been doing.. If anyone has some extra time to read through one, or more, of my solutions and give me feedback whether or not I'm missing anything, I'd be GREATLY appreciative!

I will attach the file for some of the algebra solutions I have written up so far.. I'll be adding to it and editing, but I appreciate any comments as is (whether typos, more serious mistakes, or additions). Thanks!


[attachment=0:380wzkmi]Algebra Problems and Solutions.pdf[/attachment:380wzkmi]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Algebra Problems and Solutions.pdf (215.9 KB, 17 views)
watson is offline  
 
January 5th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2008

Posts: 150
Thanks: 5

Re: Proof-read / give comments on algebra solutions?

Ok, I checked the first few; here are my comments:

1.1:
Claim 1: Looks good enough, but in your proof you should replace |G| by |N| twice. (Seems to be a simple typo.)

Claim 2: Good.

Claim 3: That is a correct description of the orbits, but it is not very far from the definition of "orbit". In fact, one can describe the orbits very explicitly.

1.2:
Claim 1: Good.

Claim 2: Good.

1.3:
Claim 1:Also note that as . That is not apparent! It is in fact wrong for every non-simple group G of that order. However, the fact that can be deduced quite simply.

That's how far I got for now. Maybe I have more time later.

rgds
Peter
Peter is offline  
January 5th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2011

Posts: 100
Thanks: 0

Re: Proof-read / give comments on algebra solutions?

Thank you for your comments so far!

1.1
Claim 3: I realize your point, and I was worried that was the case; can you give me a hint how I might actually describe the orbits explicitly?

1.3
Claim 1: Yes, I realize that I can't just note , I was just being a bit lazy I guess! To see why it's true, one can observe the following:
Recall and that , where , defined as . Let . Then for every such conjugate of . But in particular, we have that , i.e., for all , and so (since we are assuming ), we get .. I think..

Or maybe this is a better approach: Define and , where , defined as . Let . Then for every such left coset of . But in particular, we have that , i.e., for all , and so we must have .


Thanks again!
watson is offline  
January 5th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2008

Posts: 150
Thanks: 5

Re: Proof-read / give comments on algebra solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson
Thank you for your comments so far!

1.1
Claim 3: I realize your point, and I was worried that was the case; can you give me a hint how I might actually describe the orbits explicitly?
Hint 1: There aren't to many.
Hint 2: Take a vector of your liking and try a bit where you can map it.
Hint 3: As matrices in SL_n are invertible the column-vectors form a basis. Given any basis, how can you change it, so that it makes up the column-vectors of an element of Sl_n?
Quote:

1.3
Claim 1: Yes, I realize that I can't just note , I was just being a bit lazy I guess! To see why it's true, one can observe the following:
Recall and that , where , defined as . Let . Then for every such conjugate of . But in particular, we have that , i.e., for all , and so (since we are assuming ), we get .. I think..

Or maybe this is a better approach: Define and , where , defined as . Let . Then for every such left coset of . But in particular, we have that , i.e., for all , and so we must have .


Thanks again!
I actually prefer your first approach. Maybe if you drop the calculations, it looks nicer. Let me rephrase it: G operates transitive on X. By definition the kernel operates trivial on X. So if the Kernel was G, then G operates trivial and transitive, i.e. X has only one element, contrary to the assumption. (Well, now that I write it, it might be that for it to look really easy, one has to be a bit used to operations.)
Peter is offline  
January 5th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2011

Posts: 100
Thanks: 0

Re: Proof-read / give comments on algebra solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
G operates transitive on X. By definition the kernel operates trivial on X. So if the Kernel was G, then G operates trivial and transitive, i.e. X has only one element, contrary to the assumption.
This is nice, thanks.
watson is offline  
Reply

  My Math Forum > College Math Forum > Abstract Algebra

Tags
algebra, comments, give, proofread, solutions



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poorly proof read book/ need help understanding the solution restin84 Advanced Statistics 1 March 19th, 2012 03:20 PM
proof-read / give comments on analysis solutions? watson Real Analysis 1 January 10th, 2012 05:48 PM
can you give a proof of this theorem please johnmath Abstract Algebra 3 January 10th, 2011 10:38 AM
I need 2 solutions and my Casio ClassPad only give me 1! =( achillida Algebra 1 January 7th, 2008 11:00 AM
can you give a proof of this theorem please johnmath Real Analysis 0 December 31st, 1969 04:00 PM





Copyright © 2019 My Math Forum. All rights reserved.